• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX 5850 ..why no price drops?

Soldato
I've been checking the prices for the 5850 for quite a while now and it seems that the pricier ones like XFX have remained at over £250 even though they don't seem to be selling as much as the cheaper ones. Nearly all online retailers have them in stock and I haven't ever seen them sell out!

I would have expected a manufacturer to reduce prices once it becomes apparent that sales a low.
Am I missing something? are XFX cards so much better than the rest to warrant the higher prices?

edit:: nevermind...I just checked and there don't seem to be many left except a few retailers..:confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Its probably to do with the supplier. Depending on wholesale costs and supply/demand these costs can vary a lot. I'm betting that the supplier that deals with XFX cards is selling them at a higher price too - maybe XFX realise that there is little Nvidia competition and a short suppy of 5850s but considerable demand, hence they won't fly off the shelves as fast, but they will all sell and make decent profits.

Soldato
OP
Is XFX a better brand to warrant the higher prices though? Anything the card offers over the other cheaper versions?

Soldato
The warranty does sound interesting:

***EXCLUSIVE Premium Priority 2 Year Warranty***

In the unlikely event of your card failing within 2 Years, OcUK will replace your card with a brand new one, pending testing within our standard RMA terms and conditions (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/support.php)

So in the even of a failure, you should recieve a replacement much faster than other cards - where you have to RMA and it is sent off to the manufacturer. However, when you consider that this cover lasts 2 years, and the ASUS one has 3 years of warranty - then this "premium" warranty doesn't seem quite as excellent. Also, the ASUS one should overclock better without needing a BIOS flash.

Back
Top Bottom