Interview tommorow for lidl, any tips?

Soldato
Hey I have an interview for working as a store assistant in lidl tommorow, any tips on questions they'll have / qualities they'll like?

I'm gonna say hardworking, reliable, team worker etc but they're all kinda obvious

Soldato
I doubt it will be a very challenging interview, they will just be looking to see if you have honesty/integrity and examples that you are a decent hard worker.

Soldato
Think of examples as to why you are hardworking, reliable, team worker etc etc etc

Would you say you are a team worker?

Instead of: Yes.
Say: Yes, because... bla bla bla I did this, I did that. This shows i am hard working.

I'm sure this is obvious though.

Permabanned
If its anything like Tesco or Asda in the recruiment process, they are more interested in personality and how well you get on with other people.

They want people who get on well with other staff and the customers, and that can handle the usual unavoidable storm of angry and rude customers.

But if they arent like the major supermarkets, then that probably wouldnt work.

Is it a one on one interview or a group selection? Supermarkets usually do group selections with fun, but impossibly timed activities and they wont recruit people who get stressed out, bossy, or dont smile or talk to anyone else.

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;16389477 said:
OP, ignore this, it's nonsense.

Be honest, talk to them in the same manner they talk to you, get your point across and ask questions. If you're not sure about something, ask for clarification.

You'll be fine. Good luck :)

...Its a big no-no to ask how much you get payed at an interview right? (my mum suggested it) :eek:

Soldato
...Its a big no-no to ask how much you get payed at an interview right? (my mum suggested it) :eek:

They'll ask you if you have any questions at the end of the interview. I see no reason why you can't say 'I was wondering what my starting wage/hourly rate would be, if I was successful with this interview?'.

That being said, I'm sure each of the jobs I've had they've made mention of what my starting salary would be during the interview process.

Caporegime
The salary for the position you're talking about is not open to negotiation. It's a company flat rate and you either take it or you don't. Clarify what the hourly rate is for the current employees and confirm that this is what you'll be paid. You won't be able to negotiate higher.

@ G-MAN2004 - sorry man, meant no offence :)

Permabanned
I failed my first retail interview at Woolworths. They had a small group selection with 3 interviewees and I got too overconfident and cocky. But after that I passed my next three at Index, Boots (both one on one), and a much larger group selection at Asda (I remembered to smile, relax and have fun rather than taking it seriously and getting stressed out). Funny that two of those are now dead.

At woolworths they sat us down and asked us to come up with an idea for a new product to sell and how to market it. At Asda, we had to actually introduce the person sat next to us instead of where you usually present yourself, then had numbered cards which we werent allowed to look at to hold in front of you and try to arrange each other in order, and then try to build a tower out of straws.

The straw tower thing was just crazy - 10 minutes to build, at 5 minutes one person got called from each group and got given a cup to place on top of it, and then at 2 minutes someone else got called and were told that each straw now had to have a knot in it :x. If they see people get stressed out, bossy or that arent enjoying themselves, they dont get recruited.

Also a few people turned up in suits and were completely serious and straight faced throughout the whole thing, they didnt get picked either. Also they didnt recruit a single person who couldnt speak decent English either, and maybe 33% of the people in the group were very illiterate. They pretty much pick the people they liked the most, but I heard after I started work there that they have had group selections where no one was successful.

The salary at retail jobs wont be negotiable, they pay everyone the same rate regardless of age or time spent working there.

The boots interview was a little odd too, you simply got walked around the store while discussing what you saw with the interviewer who took notes. I made mention of the products on sale, customers and staff etc and somehow passed.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can do the odd overtime shift now and then say that you can be flexible with hours and doing extra, let them know you'd be punctual.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;16389552 said:
The salary for the position you're talking about is not open to negotiation. It's a company flat rate and you either take it or you don't. Clarify what the hourly rate is for the current employees and confirm that this is what you'll be paid. You won't be able to negotiate higher.

@ G-MAN2004 - sorry man, meant no offence :)

I doubt he would be interested in negotiating pay, it's his first job after all. I'm sure his mum just said to find out so she can have peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom