connecting pc to tv over 10m away- help!

Soldato
i recently moved house and basically have our big hdtv (samsung 5 series) in the lounge and then pc in our study , which is about 12metres away.

the hdtv has vga and hdmi ports, my pc 2x dvi

im looking to get my pc signal to the hdtv at 1080p and getting seriously confused on cables and length.

what are the chances vga signal will run that far?
would i need a booster box of sorts?
is a cat5 convertor worth getting??

i dont want to spend to much here max about £50 and not bothered about a pure digital picture (hence why vga will be fine aslong as it gets there in 1080p)
im also worried about going dvi to hdmi as the hdtv played up a lot the last time i tried it with a 2m cable.
any ideas>?

Soldato
I guess this is just a tad too short, then?

You can get a shorter HDMI cable and an extension cable as well, though. A 10m HDMI extension can be found for less than £15 if you shop around. OcUK don't seem to do them, though, unfortunately. Add on a 3m HMDI cable and you're well below £25. Or OcUK's 3m VGA to HDMI cable if you don't have a VGA-to-HDMI dongle to hand.

That's basically the way I connect my PC to our upstairs LCD TV, about 8m through a wall (HDMI cables are easy to drill through walls due to the comparatively small connector heads).

Last edited:
Associate
You can get 15m hdmi cables which work fine for some and not for others so could be a bit hit or miss.

Or you could get a powered hdmi extender and 2 smaller hdmi cables these can allegedly run upto 40m.

Associate
Hi,
I'm using a 10m DVI to HDMI cable which cost only 10 quid and it works perfectly. I am sure that a better quality 15m one would work too.

Associate
You can get a HDMI over CAT5 convertor I that allows you to send the signal a lot further (30M). I bought some from overclockers (which I havent used yet) but I cant find them on the site currently. Was originally sold for £24.68.

Back
Top Bottom