Recommend me some software please

Associate
Recommend me anti virus/backup software please

Guys,
I'm after an anti-virus software that will scan the computer before it boots into Windows. I currently use Microsoft Security Essentials which is great but it doesnt do the pre boot scan. I had a quick look at Ultimate Boot CD http://www.ubcd4win.com/ but wanted to know if anyone is able to recommend it.

I am also after some imaging software and I know you are all going to point me to Acronis but I feel there is probably an alternative out there.
I am aware W7 has its own built in backup software but I need to make a backup of an XP installation.

cheers
Jase

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Seagate disk tools is a version of Acronis true image and is free. It works on all of my drives, Seagate, Samsung and Western Digital. It's a great piece of software.

With regards to AV's that scan pre-boot, i thought most did this. Comodo internet security and Avast certainly do it and they are both free.

Soldato
Seagate disk tools is a version of Acronis true image and is free. It works on all of my drives, Seagate, Samsung and Western Digital. It's a great piece of software.

DiscWizard and Maxblast (which are the same and is basically Acronis True Image Home) require either a Seagate or Maxtor HDD for it too work, WD also have Acronis True Image WD Edition which also needs a WD HDD to be installed for it too work...

SeaTools is the Seagate Diagnostic utility for HDDs, it has no backup facility...

Soldato
Avira Rescue Disk.

I wonder if it can be made to run from flash / hard disk, the way Ubuntu LiveCDs can...

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies guys, absolutely brill as always.

I do like the look of Macrium Reflect and the Hirens boot cd, will be defo giving them a try out. :)

Its a shame MSE doesnt have a pre-boot scan option as I really like the simplicity of the software.

Don
Macrium is really good, and if you buy now I think that they are offering a free upgrade to version 5 when it comes out in the next few months.

Stelly

Back
Top Bottom