• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800 GTX Died - 5770 a decent replacement?

Associate
Hi all, it's been a while since I have been on here. I built my own rig a few years back, and it was money well spent at the time. It's starting to show its age now though, so I'll be upgrading later this year.

I do however need a replacement for my 8800GTX which has just failed me (have "borrowed" my brothers card for now).

I was thinking of going either for a 4890 or 5770 as I have around £150 to spend (including postage).

DX11 isn't that important to me, and I believe the 4890 is the slightly faster card, although the 5770 is gaining ground with better drivers? Also I want to order from here really, and I can't seem to find the 4890.

So is a 5770 a good choice?

I'm looking at either the XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 "AVP Edition" or the XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition

Will it be worth going for the overclocked version, or the stock version and overclocking it myself?

Appreciate any help on this.

Associate
Associate
OP
Thanks matt. Do you think I'll be able to equal the XXX Edition by overclocking it myself?

Oh, and no this isn't smokey. Maybe it's just not a good year for the old 8800 :)

Associate
Haha ok yeah you could easily overclock the 5770 to 1GHz core clock and 1300Mhz memory clock with some voltage put up. I did this to my cousins XFX avp edition 5770 yesterday and all was good :)

Associate
im sure with any of the standard cards you will be able to surpass the pre overclocked cards with a little voltage tweaking, both mine run 1000core 1250mem all day and night and they are just the standard v1 and v2 asus 5770's. only buy a pre overclocked card if your not going to overclock yourself lol ;) in all honesty tho if your not interested in dx11 much id plump for a 4890, i got my brother one and its certainly no slouch, it eats my single 5770 :)

Associate
OP
Thanks again matt.

buttkinz, it's mainly down to the fact that I want to order from here as I think OC has an excellent service, but they don't seem to sell the 4890 anymore.

cmndr, that's an interesting one, thanks. It's either between the CuCore then or the AVP version. Decisions, decisions.

Associate
nice overclock there bud :) i tried it under water but wouldnt go past 1075 on the core so iv taken it off lol, it did run full load tho in the low 40's

edit: if asus do the cucore for that price then its a good deal for the money :)

Associate
Don't rule out the 4870, which is faster than the 5770 and cheaper. You can pick one up for ~£100 if you shop around or get a second hand XFX one with the carry-over lifetime warranty for ~£70

Soldato
Decided to ignore all the overvolting etc and got my Vapour-x sapphire 5770 and it is fantastic.

I'm cpu limited atm, but the card is completely silent, well worth it over the stock V1 cooler with the tiny fan.

Soldato
+1 for Asus CuCore 5770.

As for flashing bios from other brands to Asus's...I'm pretty sure that void the warranty...correct me if I'm wrong. I also recall someone said that they could always flash back to the original brand's bios for warranty...what if the card gone buggered before getting the chance to do that?

Associate
OP
Ok, have decided on the CuCore version.

This is my first ever ATI card, so what will be the best drivers for it?

Thanks again.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom