So. what would you do in my situation?

Associate
It's all a question of morals and whether you have any!

However returning the first TV may highlight the error to them as they probably record serial numbers, The first one that you received was probably one on the order, however if it wasn't then they might start asking you questions!!

i doubt they'd keep serial numbers to be honest. most stock systems (particularly retail store ones) just use the barcode and how many of that item you *should* have. even in mobile phone shops, where the serial is on the outside of the box, they usually only bother with the barcode.

large supermarkets don't tend to do full stock takes all that often as they are rather disruptive, so any missing stock doesn't usually get noticed for a good while, at which point it gets written off by a manager.

before you ask, yes i do have experience with retail stock/epos systems (as a tech for a company that built bespoke ones) :p

Soldato
You talk as if i've decided to keep it. I haven't. I'm just interested to see what others would do.

Once you've definitely confirmed that you've got a fully working TV, and an un-opened TV, and have only been charged for one:

• Contact the retailer and tell them they've made a mistake and you have an un-opened TV of theirs.
  • Tell them that their mistake is inconveniencing you as its taking up space, and that you will be disposing of their mistake in 7 days time.
  • Tell them that they have 7 days to collect it before you dispose of it, but that they must inform you in advance of the am/pm and which day they are going to collect it - as you'll take half a day off work (it's their mistake after all!) to wait in for the collection. If they are unable to do this tell them that you are willing to move it outside off of your property to be collected at their convenience, but that you of-course cannot guarantee what it's condition will be when they arrive.
  • Make sure they understand that if after 7 days they haven't collected it you'll be disposing of it.

Do not just sit tight, that'd be stealing IMHO.

Odds are you might end up with it... M&S delivered us two crates of wine before, and Mum phoned them five times and then emailed them saying that she'd be leaving it out on the driveway to be collected. They never bothered coming. So I drunked it.

Soldato
OP
Well to be honest, I am calling it in anyway - the last thing I need is a big 40" tv box kicking around and my conscience remains clear this way.

However the likelihood is that the call I received on the weekend was actually to confirm the collection of my current unit, rather than to deliver me another. The message probably got lost in translation. But I will call them tomorrow when they're open to find out what's going on.

Soldato
Think you're missing the point that its a PHR33 TELE!

Its wrong, yes, but they're barely making a loss off of each tele they sell, infact they're probably still making a profit giving him one free (if its a large company).

Actually there's very little profit to be had from TVs, around 10% in most cases.

Soldato
If it's a website which name starts in e and ends in er then I thought the same, they've just got a stupid system for marking down deliveries, I was told my monitor would come Friday, it came Thursday instead and I didn't even need to sign for it, but it still said delivery is coming Friday for some odd reason.

Associate
id have kept quiet and kept it, ive done it with a few things over the years, anything i cant get for free in life always helps, people may think thats bad but ive had a lot of stuff that i wouldnt normally have access to so im quite happy

Back
Top Bottom