Build Review and Advice Appreciated

Associate
Monitors - 2 x Dell U2410 or Dell U2710
Case - Corsair 800D
PSU - Enermax 1250 Revolution
Motherboard - Asus Rampage III
CPU - i7 980X oc'd to 3.9-4.2g
Memory - 2x2, Patriot Sector 5, Viper II 1600 LLKB 8-8-8-24 (help needed)
GPU - 12 hrs of constant streaming video daily, graphs, a game now and then (help needed as to cross-fire or SLI)
Cooling (help needed)
SSD - waiting for the latest in 3 SATA to arrive
HHD - 2T Caviar Black (help appreciated if another drive would be a better choice to get this rig running)

Soldato
Gpu = A 5870 2Gb?
Wait for the 240mm CoolIt CPU cooler, they're going to be good :)

+ Are the ram your choosing a 2x2gb kit? If so, you need triple channel;, a 3x2gb (for example) type of kit :) Like these :)

Associate
OP
Thank you Ryan-3. This is a kit from Patriot, but their top of the line DDR-3 LLKB is not offered by Overclockers and is only offered as a 2x2.048 mibyte kit online. I believe Corsair XMS3 C7 (7-7-7-20) may be of lessor ability and costs twice as much? I don't know if 4 mibyte is enough since most builds seem to use 6 as a standard. Any thoughts?
As to GPU, I have no preference, but would like to know why the 5870s over Nv 480s?
Thank you again.

Soldato
The i7/X58 supports both dual channel and triple channel memory. If you install that fast dual channel kit then your memory bandwidth will actually be less than if you installed a cheap triple channel kit. I would suggest going for this stuff, its C8, 1600MHz and performs great.

As for cooling, this would be my suggestion (+ a couple of good fans, a set of fan clips and a fan controller panel).

However, since you are spending £800+ on a CPU it may be worth just paying someone to install a custom WC system in if you don't know how.

As for the GPU, you say 12hours of constant video streaming daily. Is this just 1 stream? In HD? TBH, it doesn't seem particularly graphics intensive, am I missing something?

As for SSDs, if you are waiting for SATA 6G ones to come, they are here.

Finally, the PSU seem surplus to requirements - but this part can be finalised when the GPU(s) are chosen.

Associate
OP
Thank you andi

Thank you andi,
First to answer your graphics question. I know nothing about rendering games, but I do know that the graphics cards of the past from both ATI and Nv last about 3 years before turning to mush. Linear rendering is more important than gaming faces and these charts can be likened to high speed CAD. The streaming colored JAVA videos are bar charts and lined graphs of the various stock markets around the world that change every 1/10th to 1 second each and are fed by T3 DSL lines. there can be as many as 15 streaming charts changing by the second and as many 1 minute static charts, used as reference, sitting in the trays for each market center. You may have seen these set-ups when the TV news interview market makers at the exchanges? I would love six screens, but will max it out at three as looking up gets old at my age.

The DDR-3 Viper II/Sector 5--PVV34G1600 LLK or LLKB is the hand-picked and tested of the Triple Channel you suggested which look to be great pieces as well. For longitivity and reliability, Do you think this hand-picked and tested is going to far? My concern in choosing this item was the 4GB limit to each kit. Would I need 2 or 3 kits if 1 is not enough? Here in Germany these Patriots tested a little better than XMS3-C7 by Corsair and very much better than Corsair's top Dominator GT 1600s.

The high watt PSU is for safety. Our stationary laptops use 240 watts so as to never go beyond cruising during use - maybe this is old fashioned in today's world? Multiple GPUs are for the same reason and will be serialized to meet a monitor's demands if needed.

SSD - I saw the Crucial, I have friends in Idaho, but with intel as a partner, I think I should wait for the next shoe to drop.

Cost of repair and replacement is greater than the initial cost for quality. Breakdowns are out of the question because I am out of business during such periods.

It would be so nice not to build it myself. We try to get 5-7 yrs with upgrades out of a system before replacement.

I would like to try a water rig, but here in Germany they build their own "high-end" computers unlike when I had custom builds done in the US. Here the "Konfiguator" ready-mades are all like Dell Alienware offerings - Pretty cases full of lights and strobes, but months if not years behind the times when it comes to specific choices beyond their stocked items. I plan to try the water route once the computer is up, running and stable just to see if I can do it. I will be back asking more questions.

But first I must come to conclusions on this basic build.

Associate
OP
andi-you were right - it's not tri-channel

I checked with Patriot and they too said this was the wrong dual-channel memory for the build. Thank you for clarifying this costly mistake--Tri it is

Back
Top Bottom