Accessing windows 7 without a password?

Caporegime
A client has left me their pc without a password and I need to get on it to diagnose the computer and access the contents of the hard drive. I see that safe mode no longer works, is there any way to create a new admin user through the command line without having to log on to windows first? Would prefer not to have to fiddle with a live usb.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks, shocking that Microsoft do not yet use salts in the 21st century, how embarassing for them. It's no wonder people say windows is insecure.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you sure OHPCrack didn't work? I assume you downloaded all the rainbow tables?

LMHash is one os the easiest thing in the world to crack, so you must have been doing it wrong. If you need help having it cracked, pass the LM hash along to me and I should have it in a jiffy :).

Rgds,

Rob

*EDIT* Tool posted above is fairly useful, might be worth a shot if you know the client wont mind you breaking in.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would just ring them and ask for it or you cant repair the computer and charge an inspection fee. Better getting it straight up as some of these methods can currupt the OS.

Soldato
I would just ring them and ask for it or you cant repair the computer and charge an inspection fee. Better getting it straight up as some of these methods can currupt the OS.

good advice, I only ever hack / remove passwords when people have forgotten them.

Imagine you remove the password only to find they had encrypted their files!! <ie they will not be accessable any more>

Caporegime
OP
Are you sure OHPCrack didn't work? I assume you downloaded all the rainbow tables?

I downloaded the vista live cd, that's the right one right?
crack.JPG

I will contact the client after work if I can't find the password. Isn't there some way to enable the admin account from a boot cd? As mentioned above I would remove the password in most situations but I can't risk it causing a problem here.

Last edited:
Don
I've not used oph in a while, but looking at that it looks as if administrator doesn't have one set.. try administrator / blank ..

Also, I've not used it with Windows 7.

Soldato
Sorry, where do I enter that?
switch user to administrator at the login screen.

However, it's not going to work. I'm fairly certain that by default the Admin account is disabled in Vista/7. MS aren't daft enough to leave an admin account with no password on a standard install.

Back
Top Bottom