Well last night was interesting :D

Soldato
A Calibra is going to be cack compared to a decent Coupe Turbo, big bucket of WTF, especially when your other car choice was an 850.

Could have sold you a nice 220 none turbo, full polybushed, konis, brembos, 17" oz super legs with 50k on the clock ;)

Soldato
OP
Always liked the calibras, thought would be something nice to give a go, if i want at a later stage got a mate whos a vauxhall nut could always do a engine swap or any work to them really, good plus was having aircon which 220s dont have unless you grab one of the very very latest.

850 I think may of been a bit of a ott choice with the way that fuel is going at present, would have liked one but the calibra came up out the blue was within 10 miles of where I lived so made it nice and easy to deal with.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
What spec Calibra did you get? I've a soft spot for these - my Dad used to have one - think it was the V6. Didn't they do a turbo version too?

I remember them as being very heavy cars.

Not particularly heavy, they are just a Mk3 Cavalier in a party frock. The V6 was more of a long-legged cruiser with fairly tall gearing. They did do a 4x4 Turbo with around 210bhp, good engine but had a chocolate transfer box.

They are pretty crap cars truth be known, only saving grace are some fairly good engines (V6, 'Red Top' 16v and Turbo).

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been in a NASP and a Red Top, and to be honest both were pretty uninspiring, yeah they drove OK but didn't feel remotely 'sporty'.

My broken ZS with 112k on the clock drives so much better, which is worrying!

Permabanned
I had a tinkered NA Calibra XE, it was great for a second car, but ultimately a **** car. It was heavy and thus slow, but the piston slap suffered by the higher milers became an issue when I started getting oil pressure issues (Common Issue).

My 4x4 Turbo was a better car, went well, but will still ultimately the same car with the same engine just with a turbo and a dodgy transfer box to aid unreliability.

Having owned both a Rover 220 Coupé NA and a Rover 220 Coupé Turbo, I would have definitely gone for the Coupé.

Last edited:
Associate
My mate has a special edition (one of so many made) calibra turbo 4wd but its more front than rear though.

Its running around 300bhp and spins the front up through the gears, pretty nippy and looks alright for a vauxhall.

Back
Top Bottom