Council Tax Question

Soldato
I need some advice...

I had some adjustments made to my Council Tax for 2009, received the letter explaining it had been adjusted on the 22nd March, and they wanted payment by 1st April. I rang them and explained I couldn't afford to pay the £390 there and then but can I make an arrangement. The women said yes but we need £130 now. I advised them I didn't get paid til 28th and she said no my manager wants it now.

I tried to seek advice from several places, a lot wont help as it's Council Tax.

I then received a letter which was a Means Enquirey Form which stated my incoming and outgoing. I sent it off, 2 days later I get a letter asking for full payment within 7 days. I advised I couldn't and offered them a token payment til I got paid, they wasn't interested...

I spoke to the Council again this morning, they have now received my Mean Enquirey Form BUT I only have until this friday to pay the full amount otherwise court proceedings will take place. I've sent the letter in, I've contacted them several times, I've offered token payments until I get paid, what more can I do?

SERIOUS advice please...

Soldato
1) Go to your local CAB.

2) Let them take you to court, you've offered to pay them when you have the funds and have also offered to give them partial payment already, theyve refused and it will not have a leg to stand on as far as I am aware.

Soldato
OP
Thank You for the advice. Going to make them a payment on Friday of £100 whether you want to accept it or not, then I can show I have paid something and not just offered the payment.

Just don't want bailiffs or prison sentence hanging over me :/

Associate
as long as your making a resonable effort to pay what u can afford u wont to to jail !! Keep all letters/emails u send to them and dates and names or people you speak to by phone incase they say you didnt contact us blah blah . Dont lose any sleep over it just pay off what u can and as soon as u can but dont take the **** and say pay £1 a week :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Update:

Just spoke to the Council Tax department, the offer of £80 I made towards my council tax was rejected, I said I can do £130 at the end of the month, I've made you several offers and you keep refusing, she put me on hold, came back and said it is fine and they accept it, but why they couldn't do this in the first place and save me 8 phone calls in the space of a week I don't know...

Permabanned
The very fact that the woman said "My manager wants it now" shows an extreme lack of professionalism, I'd be making complaints if I were you.

That really isn't any way to talk to some one, especially over such a delicate matter.

How can some one say you need to pay it NOW when you've just told them you're skint?

On top of that, I really doubt her manager even said such a thing, it's not like you're talking to your mobile contract provider or something.

Surely "managers" in council offices wouldn't even concern themselves with such behaviour.

Caporegime
My post was more aimed at those offering advice and anyone else who may read this in the future with any CT problems.

They are the worst people to owe money to. They are also useless.

Glad you got it sorted though. I had a similar thing with my local council, bolshy woman on the phone, told her I wont be able to do that, spoke to adviser and everything got sorted.

Soldato
OP
My post was more aimed at those offering advice and anyone else who may read this in the future with any CT problems.

They are the worst people to owe money to. They are also useless.

Glad you got it sorted though. I had a similar thing with my local council, bolshy woman on the phone, told her I wont be able to do that, spoke to adviser and everything got sorted.

Nice 1 mate.
I just thought it was a huge joke because I tell them I cant pay til end of month, get told they want it NOW, they give me the final 7 days before court action, THEN they say they will accept 130 which made me laugh, they want me to lose sleep, it worked, now they get what they want, although they would have got it sooner if they had just agreed...useless...

Soldato
OP
They increased your council tax by £390, gave you 9 days to pay the extra and refused your offer of a partial payment until your next payday?

Correct...!

Letter recieved, phoned them told i couldn't pay there and then, they said it needs to be paid now, tried to seek advice / money to borrow, several days later, means enquiry form, a few days after a final red letter...

Back
Top Bottom