EA follows Ubisoft, will sell titles with 'always on' DRM

Associate
It seems like the Settlers 7 DRM is still having problems, not allowing people to connect.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ubisoft-settlers-drm-problems-not-completely-resolved

I can't see this working out well at all for Ubi in the long run. In terms of consumers handing over their money for this sort of thing, it's very much once bitten twice shy.

Oh well we all may has well go and get free ones now seeing as EA and the like don`t want us to buy their products any more.

Soldato
While Joe Public might not be aware of this DRM right now they will be if they are repeatedly hindered by it and they will eventually decide to spend their money elsewhere.

The worrying element of that is how many will think 'Ubisoft games are a real ball ache these days, i'll avoid them' and how many will think 'PC games are a real ball ache these days, i'll buy an XBox'

Soldato
I live a few miles out in the countryside, on a several mile long line, for that reason my net will never be 100% stable, although obviously having a good ISP helps avoid anything other than line-based issues, which is why Im switching ISP.
I cannot afford to 'just move' somewhere closer to an exchange.
For the reason I cannot guarantee a stable line when I play, I will not buy games with always on DRM, for a single player game its almost insulting, I shouldn't need to be online all the time.
Stuff like this will just encourage piracy, or alternatively people will just go and play on a console because its less hassle.

Soldato
does this need to connect to EA's game servers each time or just the website?

Where I have my pc most of the time I can get onto the website, but game servers are all blocked. If you need to get on the game servers I will be avoiding EA from now on.

Soldato
Yup, I'd post the source but I'd get banned.

I never pirate games, but I'm elated to see this victory over DRM.

I wouldn't see this as pirating (assuming previous purchase of the game), more like a community service.

I wonder if this crack now allows for any of the newer Ubisoft games to be cracked quickly or will it still take time to build a database of server queries/responses.

Associate
I wonder how long it'll be until Ubisoft hit on the idea of distributing their games for free and charging a quid or whatever for everytime you want to save a game.

Associate
I wonder if this crack now allows for any of the newer Ubisoft games to be cracked quickly or will it still take time to build a database of server queries/responses.
It is a crack on the system rather than emulating responses, assuming other ubi games implement the system in a similar way, they're now just as easy to crack as any other drm system

Associate
I wanted to get Ubisoft's Silent Hunter 5, but the always on DRM has put me off enough that I won't. Same goes for EA's games which are to be released with this system. The part that really sucks for me is in a few years there's a good chance they'll pull the plug on those servers like they do for the annual games - LINKY.
I'm not going to pirate it either, I'll just buy something else instead... simples

Soldato
as soon as there's a crack for settlers 7 ill buy it , till then no money from me . O and my dad cant play Silent Hunter 5 has he hast got an internet connection ;-(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom