Thermochill PA120.4 - What fans?

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Purchased a Thermochill PA120.4, just wondering what fans people suggest for it. Are Yate Loons still the ones to go for or are there others I should consider?

Looking for quiet fans but with good performance. Happy to use a fan controller as well.

Thanks,

Mark

Soldato
I personally use these on my PA120.2 rad, and for case fans too, they are 1400rpm fans but i generally run all of them at 500-600rpm, and they do the job well, not that pricey at all, even at full tilt. There is pwm versions too.

Noiseblocker BlackSilent Fan XL2 - 120mm

The Yate Loons are still good, but i prefered the above personally, as they where only a couple of quid more, but if using a fan controller then don't see why not use yate loons, no need for those uber fancy £10-£20 fans lol

Soldato
i would always get fans you can turn down to the level you want using a fan controller...i once bought 6 x 800rpm scythe fans for about £80 they were rubbish

Associate
I use xigmatek fans. They can be a bit noisy at 12v. However, drop them down to 5v and they're pretty much silent (literally). Plus, I only have a 1'C difference under load between them at 12v and 5v.

Soldato
OP
Well money is tight atm, so may well be going Yate Loon 2200RPM and fan controlling them down to 7v. £20 for 4 isn't bad going including postage, just a shame OcUK don't stock them.

Any idea how loud they will be?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have three 120x38mm Yate Loon D12SL-12D on my PA120.3. They are 1350rpm but on a fan controller and turned down to 700rpm. Still good cooling but quiet operation as well. The fans are'nt too bad at full chat either.

Does yours whine when they are lowered? i was using 2 of them for my rad, but lowest i could have them running was 1000rpm, as they would whine a lot at lower speeds, maybe it was becuase i was using the same mobo connector for both dunno.

Either that or i just had 2 crap ones, they are good fans though, and cheap too. Think i may retest them using a fan controller this time, and 1 fan per channel to lol.

Well money is tight atm, so may well be going Yate Loon 2200RPM and fan controlling them down to 7v. £20 for 4 isn't bad going including postage, just a shame OcUK don't stock them.

Any idea how loud they will be?

Not that loud if undervolted, but you really won't need that kind of speed fans for your rad, i would say max 1400 - 1500, and even with them have them running slower, the thick rads work extremly well with slower fans so u basicly never have to have them running fast, even when doing extreme overclocking.

My fans are never over 600rpm even when im folding, in summer i may have to run them abit faster, hence why i have 1400rpm ones, but generally they never get anywhere near 1000rpm ever, as i have them set to ramp up automaticly.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not that loud if undervolted, but you really won't need that kind of speed fans for your rad, i would say max 1400 - 1500, and even with them have them running slower, the thick rads work extremly well with slower fans so u basicly never have to have them running fast, even when doing extreme overclocking.

My fans are never over 600rpm even when im folding, in summer i may have to run them abit faster, hence why i have 1400rpm ones, but generally they never get anywhere near 1000rpm ever, as i have them set to ramp up automaticly.

Yeah that is true. I mean if I went with the 2200 RPM ones, at 5v they would be at approx 916 RPM. So maybe going with the mediums is a good balance between performance and silence when a fan controller is used.

Man of Honour
Does yours whine when they are lowered? i was using 2 of them for my rad, but lowest i could have them running was 1000rpm, as they would whine a lot at lower speeds, maybe it was becuase i was using the same mobo connector for both dunno.

Either that or i just had 2 crap ones, they are good fans though, and cheap too. Think i may retest them using a fan controller this time, and 1 fan per channel to lol.

No whining here. The 120x38mm's on the rad are running off a Akasa fan controller and i have some 120x25mm and 140x25mm ones in one of my pc's on a Zalman multifunction controller running at 660rpm and 600rpm respectively with no whining.

Soldato
No whining here. The 120x38mm's on the rad are running off a Akasa fan controller and i have some 120x25mm and 140x25mm ones in one of my pc's on a Zalman multifunction controller running at 660rpm and 600rpm respectively with no whining.

Ah guess it was becuase i was using the same fan header off the mobo, to control both, yeh i'll deffinatly test with my fan controller, if i can find room for it since i moved cases, my Pa120.2 and bay res is taking most drive bays, guess i can just sticky tape it to the bottom of the case inside, as i won't be turning them up/down a lot, bit of a hassle but more testing for me i guess.

Thanks for the info pasty.

Back
Top Bottom