• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Crossfire limitations?

Associate
Hi guys. Currently I have an Asus 5850 and I'm just wondering if I was to ever add a second, what sort of limitations could I expect as my motherboard only supports x8 x8 for crossfire.

Thanks

Man of Honour
If its PCI-e 2.0 x8 then you shouldn't see any performance degredation, if its PCI-e 1.x then you'll get slightly longer loading times in games and maybe 15% performance drop.

Associate
OP
Seems you're right Thek, but I could have sworn I read x8 x8 in the documentation. Supplying generic information? I'll have to go dig that out tomorrow actually.

Soldato
could be the manual is generic and covers a wide range of boards,

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16)
1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (@x4 mode, 2.5GT/s)
2 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 (2.5GT/s)
3 x PCI

as per the asus website, hopefuly someone can explain better for you or shed more light

hope it all works out for ya

Associate
How p55 boards normally work is you have a single card it'll run @ 16X if you run 2 cards they divied the 16 lanes into 2 so thats x8 then if you had a 3rd card they half into 4 lanes 4x4x4x4.

X58 chipset does not 1 lanes 16x and 2 lanes with 2 cards still stay at 16x...

There are differant revisions of P55 tho so you're mobo might be a lower end p55 chipset it will not.
for example if you have the Asus P7P55D-E you can run two cards at 8x 8x - thumbs up,
If you have Asus P7P55D-E LX you can only run 1 card @ 16x (single) or if you use 2 cards you will get the second card running @ 1x which then limits your 16 lanes on both cards to 1 lane there for you can't crossfire - 1x1x.

I hope i explained this correctly i did take the infomation off Ocuk website so please check the manuel as there should be some sort of divider infomation in there and give us the full extension number of the mainboard and i will check it for you.

Back
Top Bottom