New car £3000 budget

Associate
Hi there, in a few months time I shall have my first years no claims and plan to change my current car to a better one. I want to get something well built and I like Audi’s BMW's etc. With me being 18 insurance may be an issue. I am willing to spend £2000 max on insurance. At the moment I have Peugeot 306 HDI 2L turbo which is remapped to 125BHP. The car is quite nippy compared to friends 1L Corsa etc. I have recently got a new job and will be able to afford something a little better.

At the moment I have mainly been considering an Audi A3. I have been looking at the 1.8 turbo engine. I have been doing some quotes and I know insurance changes daily but the ballpark figure is going to be around £1600 with my mum and dad as a named driver with bell who seem to be the cheapest. I also did some quotes on the A3 Quattro which was only £60 more to insure. When I come round to getting my years no claims and start to look to buy one of these I am going to wait for the right spec one to come around but I don't want to be set on an Audi A3. I want to get something similar spec and was open to suggestions. (Subject to insurance) Running costs I am quite hands on and have a budget and some savings aside for that.

I see no reason to get another diesel as I don't do the miles to benefit I do a 55 mile commute 5 days a week. And I also want to get petrol I quite like the idea of sensible mods (power and handling upgrades) this is one of the reasons an A3 was considered.

Sorry for going on a bit but if anybody can thing of some similar cars would be great!

Many thanks Phil

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I honestly don't think an A3 for £3k is going to be particularly nice.
The Octavia vRS is in your budget but I suspect insurance won't be particularly cheap..

Soldato
I havent done it yet, so it's overdue - am going to have to suggest the car I own... Get a 9-3 :D

All have turbocharged engines so respond to power modifications well, they're a bit different from the norm, insurance shouldnt be bad either :)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16410763 said:
Surely you cant get a good one for £3k though, and if you can, why did you spend so much more, you could have saved a fortune :D

3k buys an early (2002~2003) model in something like Vector/Arc trim with a 1.8t or 2.0t engine. Oddly, both are 2.0 4 cylinder engines with low pressure turbos, just in different states of tune.

Mines a 2.0T Aero (the big T means it's a high output turbo), so top of the range with the second from top engine, with low miles and much newer.

That's like asking why you would buy a mint ST220 when you could buy a 2.0 Zetec Mondeo for half the amount :p The ST220 is probably the closest thing I can compare it to, was going to use an E46 and M3 analogy but thought that would start all sorts of arguments!

Soldato
Have you seen the sort of A3s you can get for £3k?

I've just had a quick look on auto trader and they are generally not pretty!

I think the OP is trying to run before he can walk and would be much better off at this point either sticking with his current motor and saving a bit more cash or upgrading to something that is still reasonable in the 3K bracket like for example a Mondeo.

daz

daz

Soldato
If your car is OK for now, I'd probably recommend keeping it for a bit longer. It's a known quantity and you can budget and save a bit longer for a car that you'll really be able to cherish (Perhaps an A3 nearer to £5k-£6k, if your heart is on an A3), rather than an 11 year old one that's done 130,000 miles and has the potential for big bills to crop up suddenly.

Back
Top Bottom