dx wide angle ?

Permabanned
Im after a wide angle for my D70.

I was set on the tokina 11-16 f2.8 however have read numerous reviews that claim that if the sun is in the shot you get a green lens flare over the whole picture.

This puts me off it majorly.

I think a D700 is wasted at my level (which would allow me to use the 14-24mm,one of the best wide angles in the world apparently) and would rather wait till my images look great on DX format (like martinturners) to reward myself for an upgrade.

So any ideas on a better wide angle than the tokina ?

A mate has a sigma 10-20mm and gets good results, but its not f2.8. The majority of my pics are done at night / sunset.

Soldato
For night shots I assume you mean long exposure? I'd get either the Tokina 11-16 or the 12-24. I really like my 12-24, anyway.

At least you aren't getting a D700/D3s or whatever it was now :p

I think you're getting confused as to why you want the D700 too, but anyway...either of the Sigma/Tokina's will be fine, I can't comment on the Sigma, but if its like what they used to be it'll be great if you get a good copy. Although the 12-24 is f4, it's sharp from f4 onwards imo. The 11-16 is an awesome, awesome lens though.

Whats your widest lens at the moment, btw?

Caporegime
Yep, the Tokinas are slightly more suceptable to flare apparently however better in almost every other respect when compared to the Sigma.

I use the 12-24 and have no issues with it at all and when I have the money will probably upgrade to the 11-16.

Associate
You could always try to pick up a second hand Nikon 10-24mm although to be honest it's not going to be any sharper than the Tokina and certainly no quicker. Is an aperture of 2.8 really that important to you for a wide angle? If the majority of your pics will be taken at night/sunset then you'd most likely be using a tripod anyway. Also...if you'd be using the lens at dusk/night the most then the sun is not going to cause you any problems with flare anyway. The Tokina is considered one of the best DX wides out there and it's a good few hundred cheaper than the Nikon 10-24mm. I wouldn't rule the Tokina out due to possible flare issues...these can be worked around.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
^this, and you might want to see how the Sigma 8-16 turns out (again, not f/2.8, but for landscape I'm not convinced you'll need f/2.8...).

Permabanned
OP
For night shots I assume you mean long exposure? I'd get either the Tokina 11-16 or the 12-24. I really like my 12-24, anyway.

At least you aren't getting a D700/D3s or whatever it was now :p

I think you're getting confused as to why you want the D700 too, but anyway...either of the Sigma/Tokina's will be fine, I can't comment on the Sigma, but if its like what they used to be it'll be great if you get a good copy. Although the 12-24 is f4, it's sharp from f4 onwards imo. The 11-16 is an awesome, awesome lens though.

Whats your widest lens at the moment, btw?

18mm

And how am i confused as to why i want a d700 ?

Its not full frame then ?

Caporegime
^this, and you might want to see how the Sigma 8-16 turns out (again, not f/2.8, but for landscape I'm not convinced you'll need f/2.8...).

Yeah the 8-16 could be quite interesting, just depends on how much distortion it will have.

apparently sigma are planning a 2.8 10-20mm but am unsure of when its out

I can't see that tbh, however if they do it will be huge and probably hugely expensive too. There's almost certainly a reason Tokina only made an 11-16.:)

Soldato
18mm

And how am i confused as to why i want a d700 ?

Its not full frame then ?

Of course it is. But you've asked about exposure, and many other questions and then suddenly jumped to wanting a D3s/D700, many people here have given you advice, exactly what you've said in your first post about 'the D700 is wasted at my level'. We've said to just get used to the camera, start producing images you are proud of and not worry about all the gear, when you want/need to upgrade, do it. Not trying to sound like i'm better than you (which you'll obviously be thinking), i'm not a great photographer, by any means. Just offering my 2c.

Back
Top Bottom