need an editing PC :)

Associate
hello everyone,

a friend of mine will be wanting to buy a complete computer inc monitor, keyboard and mouse but won't be needing speakers.

the computer will be used heavily in Photoshop, 3ds max and adobe after effects so the main priority is for it to be quad core and have 6 gig of ram.

we don't have a budget yet were just wanting to find the cheapest option possble, its not going to be used that much for gaming so a cheapish GPU will be fine. OS will be needed

thansk for the help :)

Soldato
Hi, im no good at editing builds, im guessing this is quite right, you have the i7 for hyperthreading and the x58 board for tri channel memory 6gb like you wanted, gfx is nvidia, with physx (is that spelt right?) i think its good to have for 3dsmax or atleast im sure ive read that somewhere, then a basic tower etc, i didnt include a monitor, mouse etc i would go for the 24" led benq monitor but again i dont know whats good for editing..

anyway heres what i chose.

editingbuild.jpg

Total is £888.21 inc P&P

Associate
Ok - first thing I'd recommend is fast hdds. Go for a 30gb OCZ vertex for your OS and program files, and stick a coulple of 500GB F3's in raid 0 for the scratch disk and PF (trust me, Photoshop will definitely thank you for it).

Has he got an IPS monitor?

Does he want a standard graphics card or a Quadro?

Permabanned
For lots of editing, a 980x, decent motherboard, 8800gt converted to quadro, LOTS of ram, and lots of SSD's!

Soldato
hello everyone,

a friend of mine will be wanting to buy a complete computer inc monitor, keyboard and mouse but won't be needing speakers.

the computer will be used heavily in Photoshop, 3ds max and adobe after effects so the main priority is for it to be quad core and have 6 gig of ram.

we don't have a budget yet were just wanting to find the cheapest option possble, its not going to be used that much for gaming so a cheapish GPU will be fine. OS will be needed

thansk for the help :)

The Phenom II X6 is coming out next week so I would wait until then TBH. You could also use a 785G or 880G based motherboard which has integrated graphics to save some more money.

Associate
For editing your want | i7 - nvidia graphics card or them quadro cards - 6gb ram (12gb if you can) 2x ssds for windows and adobe - 2x500 (or 1tb drives) raid 0.

The new adobe cs5 makes good use of the ram, why the 12gb as they say them selfs that 12gb will be better.

Soldato
How does this look?

1448i7.png

I included an IPS monitor (as it will suit your uses very well), a good SSD (as discussed above will speed up work), i7 CPU and a good cooler (for overclocking and generally massive performance), a 9800GT GPU (for CUDA support and any other GPGPU stuff) and a good quality/high DPI mouse for accurate and responsive mouse movements.

If it costs to much, i'd be happy to spec up something cheaper.

Associate
OP
lol thanks guys,

firstly, won't be doing the quadro thing, an old or simular spec to an 8800GT/GTS will be fine graphics wise,

can't afford the SSD route so 2 samsung F3's look best for thenew computer

ideally less than £180 for a monitor too

how is overclocking these days on the new I5's?

ty

Soldato
The 9800Gt is effectively a die-shrunk 8800GT, so that should do you fine.

Fair enuf with the SSD, it is expensive.

The monitor was chosen due to the IPS technology, if this isn't needed then I would suggest going for this TN based one. However, please bear in mind that the resolution of this is not quite as high (1920x1080 vs 1920x1200) and the aspect ratio is 16:9 not 16:10, so the screen is wider and the total viewing area is smaller.

The new i5s overclock very well. However, please bear in mind that these CPUs are only hyperthreaded dual core and don't perform near the standard of an i7 in CPU intensive, multithreaded applications and clock-for-clock they are slower than an i7.

Soldato
lol thanks guys,

firstly, won't be doing the quadro thing, an old or simular spec to an 8800GT/GTS will be fine graphics wise,

can't afford the SSD route so 2 samsung F3's look best for thenew computer

ideally less than £180 for a monitor too

how is overclocking these days on the new I5's?

ty

TBH, for the type of things you are looking at the new six core Phenom II processors would be worth looking at! They are being released next week it seems.

The X6 1055T is meant to be around £160 to £170(according to leaked pricing from one well known UK retailer) and in Cinebench 11.5 is around the same speed as a Core i7 860:

http://en.expreview.com/2010/04/13/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1055t-turbo-boost-preview/7038.html

The AM3 motherboards are also far cheaper than the equivalent socket 1366 ones. There are plenty of decent sub £100 motherboards available for socket AM3 and a some even have both USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0 too!

Here is a comparison of a socket 1366 Core i7 930 and the X6 1055T at the same clockspeeds in Cinebench 11.5:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4338620&postcount=56

TBH,even if you want to stay with Intel having the Phenom II X6 in the £150 to £250 price range will probably mean lower prices for many of the cheaper Core i5 and Core i7 processors.

Last edited:
Soldato
^^ Really? I've never been able to see a huge reason to use IPS personally?

I can understand it if you're doing large scale printout operations, but for 3ds max and after effects? I assume if he's using after effects and 3ds max he's not doing graphic design as the sole activity on the computer?

You only lose a bit of colour accurracy, which in many cases doesn't matter too much.

Associate
OP
personally my self i just use an LG w2252TQ, don't know if it has this fancy IPS thing but it serves me fine and the resolution is perfect for me :)

the "editing PC" thing, this PC will not be used for industry purposes, simply a pc that can comfortably run the programs allready listed, simular to the spec of my current computer but with new technology. (my spec is in my sig)

by the sounds of the new AMD chips it looks the way forward especially if the prices are so low.

thanks guys, any more advice would be greatly appreciated :)

ty

Associate
If you want to just run it then any quad core with 4gb ram etc sud do it fine, if u wana do quick then its ssds raid 0 drives and i7s with a nvidia card if your going to use cs5.

Associate
I agree - whatever you do, don't skimp on the monitor for photo and video editing. The big problem with TN is you can end up with something that looks perfect on your monitor, but crap on everything else.

The 24" HP is a real bargain, but if you want to save a few quid go for the 22" Dell Ultrasharp

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-032-DE&groupid=17&catid=949&subcat=

(Lower res might help with gaming on a lower end card).

If you want to save a bit more, stick some 500GB or 1TB Samsung F3s in RAID0. It's not quite SSD performance, but it's pretty damn close!

Back
Top Bottom