American McGee's Alice

Associate
Anyone remeber playing this? Just reinstalled on my windows 7 machine and it works like a charm out of the box, great game as well. Really quite creepy with the sounds and music up high...or maybe thats just because i find the concept scary :):cool:

Soldato
One of my favourite games ever. No, scratch that, my favourite game. I can literally get lost in it for days. I also sometimes use the godmode cheat purely so I can play through it quickly and see the levels if I have reinstalled it. Great game and as far as I know he's making a 'sequel' or more up to date version, if it's anywhere near as good as the first one I'll be the happiest man alive! Although the game can be really depressing because of the music, but to be contradictory it's a great soundtrack - by Chris Vrenna, ex NIN.

Soldato
Does this install on x64?

Im sure I tried it on Vista and it failed.

A film is scheduled to be released based on the game.

E.A have commissioned a game to coincide with the film. It is unclear if the game is a remake/reboot or sequel.

EDIT:

Just installed and installs/runs fine on Windows 7 x64.

Any tips on if you can get it to support 16:10 resolutions?

EDIT 2:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/American_McGee's_Alice

Go to <gameDir>\Base, open the config.cfg file with notepad and change the line:
seta r_mode "-1"

Add the lines:
seta r_customwidth "1920"
seta r_customheight "1200"
(or your resolution of course)

And Now:
Bop on over to the FOV calculator:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fovcalc.php

Alice's default FOV says "0", but it's actually 90.

Now here's the problem: you can't set the FOV in the .ini file.
In fact, if you try to set it that way, the game will lock out your ability to adjust it from the console.

Go up to the bindings, pick your favorite key, and bind your new FOV.
If you have a 16x10 panel like I do:
bind M "fov 100.39"

Now run the game. After every save game and level load, hit your bound key. (Yes, it stinks, but it beats Vert-).

Last edited:
Associate
A film is scheduled to be released based on the game.

E.A have commissioned a game to coincide with the film. It is unclear if the game is a remake/reboot or sequel.

American McGee is working on a sequel; this is confirmed on his forums.

A movie's not happening anytime soon. It started development in 2000.

I have 2 copies...one I bought for £9 on Amazon, another I bought in Gamestation last month for 99p. The 99p one is in better condition than the Amazon one! I would offer one for sale here but I can't access my game boxes til June.

Check out here though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...=gateway&qid=1271921965&sr=8-3&condition=used

And they have ones on ebay for around £8 at the moment.

Associate
OP
Im always suprised at how good these older games are to replay. I guess it shows how much empahsis was on quality games for pc's back then. Also this game has some of the best level design i have seen in years! Just goes to show, gameplay over graphics.

Associate
This was one of the best games for atmosphere I have ever played. The splash screen with Alice in hospital freaked me out so much!

I loved it when you had to get across the chess board so you became a chess piece....genius!

Associate
I absolutely LOVE this game!
It shall hastily be installed when I get home :D

I only have one of the 'value' range type releases though - I'll have to look for an original release as this one didn't used to work properly all the time.

Soldato
The big box version of American McGee's Alice with the blooded knife in Alice’s hand is much more rare and ‘very’ hard to come by….

It’s an excellent game, wonderland goes all gothic and an interesting twist on Lewis Carroll’s tale…

For when the game was released it was regarded as a rather bizarre and weird world and was quoted as being a game that depicted a more ‘cynical and macabre’ version of a now grown up Alice…

Excellent gameplay and level design if you can find the game for a decent price…. I do believe the budget version is out there but the box art changed again and showed Alice with a hand of cards – the version I picked up some years ago….

Permabanned
I've been aware of this game for quite some time, I think this thread is urged me to go and play it.

Sounds like another great but underated game like Psychonaughts and Beyond good and Evil (two of my favourites).

Soldato
The big box version of American McGee's Alice with the blooded knife in Alice’s hand is much more rare and ‘very’ hard to come by….

I had that version but threw out the box when i had a clear out and the only game to survive my cull was Deus Ex :(

AMA is one of those games that comes along once in a blue moon and takes you totally by surprise on how good it is. And whats more suprising is they never bothered with a sequel!

Associate
Ah, that music as Alice skipped along whilst being attacked by giant wasps
I remember it well but but later in the game it began to severely lag the PC I had back then to the extent it became unplayable, I reached a part with a big chequer board ? & it became a slide show.
I guess it would fly now with current hardware

Associate
OP
Heh i half thought my love for this game would not be shared, i'm glad to see i was wrong! Get it installed guys, its a rereshing change from today's games!

Back
Top Bottom