• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ati 5970 help:)

Associate
hey guys i recently orderd my ati 5970 but my question is how will it fair with a Q6600@3ghz i can't overclock anymore due to my stupid dell motherboard and bios but im planning to get a new case motherboard and i7 sometime down the line.

cheers

Associate
You really won't know till you fit the card and try and you really won't know it was bottlencked till you upgrade.

my E5200 @3.6Ghz were bottlenecking my 4870x2 but i didn't know till i upgraded and i was happy with the system:) enjoy you're new card :) don't worry about it.

Associate
OP
Jorzeh thats an excellent answer thank you! i was just about to ask what would the effects be of bottlenecking, i guess its just limiting the true potential of the card cheers mate :)

Soldato
As you say you got a Dell motherboard i'm guessing this is a full Dell computer, will the card fit into the current case and is the PSU beefy enough?

Gotta check! :p

Associate
OP
Yeah case is fine :) ive modified it abit ive currently got a 3870x2 in there with alotttt of headroom so all good here are my specs

Q6600@3GHZ -- Soon to be an I7 one day :) new case needed
4 gig ram ---- Soon to be 8 gig
3870x2
24 inch monitor
and 850watt corsair PSU fits nicely... wish i bought a modular one tho :(

not bad for an xps420 :D

Associate
OP
ati 5970 installed perfect fit in my case and no bottleneck i can notice running crysis max x8 aa at a very high frame rate no hiccups or jerkyness of anykind, maxes out metro2033 gta 4 and runs pretty much any game i throw at it, im well happy :D cheers guys

Soldato
I'm almost certain that your CPU will not be holding you back much. Clock-for-clock, core 2 Quad (65nm) CPUs are slightly faster than Phenom II X4 chips. With this in mind, look at the CPU scaling in this set of tests (use the drop-down menu to view the other games tested).

Associate
OP
The Brand is Sapphire the Shamefully overclocked version and deep down Andi i know your right and at somepoint i will upgrade but i can run my collection of 50 games all at max settings without any slow down what so ever. my 3870x2 used to microstutter like hell and this beauty is smooth as hell 500 pound well spent tbh.

when i first installed the card my cpu was running at 2.4 because when i cleaned my computer and applied new thermal paste i accidently knocked off the pin mod tape.

so my card was stuttering like hell and i was getting really worried but after i realised and clocked it back up to 3ghz ... it ran like an absolute DREAM.

i'm at work at the moment so i cant do the test but il give them a go when im home.

Crysis, metro, just cause 2, battleforge, dirt 2 etc... all run fluid no hiccups at Max settings full aa :) :) :) :) :) :)

Associate
OP
and is it fair to say .. once i upgrade my ram to 8 gig that i ahve the most pimped out XPS 420 ever ? Lmao shame i cant get a BTX motherboard for an i7.. need new case.

Associate
and is it fair to say .. once i upgrade my ram to 8 gig that i ahve the most pimped out XPS 420 ever ? Lmao shame i cant get a BTX motherboard for an i7.. need new case.

You do realise that so much ram might hold your over-clocking back?
You will not need this much ram at all m8. Go i7 triple channel 6 gig setup, that seems to be sweet spot

Back
Top Bottom