PC gaming expense ?

Associate
I really don't get how people can possibly argue that PC Gaming is not expensive, assuming your performing everything completely legit, no pirating, to buy a pc brand new with everything required e.g. monitor, speakers and to play at decent graphical settings your looking at atleast £700. Then factor in the price of games which are little different from their console counterparts.

With a console your initial input is a Console (PS3 my preference) at £270 and an HD TV (40" for £400, but obviously from 19" up at very low prices). Factor in a monthly charge for broadband and much more regular upgrades and I completely fail to see how you can possibly argue it is comparable to console gaming

Permabanned
I don't know. I have always found the ps3 to have terrible loading times.

yeah it does have long loading times due to the very slow blu ray player but its not that bad.

I really don't get how people can possibly argue that PC Gaming is not expensive, assuming your performing everything completely legit, no pirating, to buy a pc brand new with everything required e.g. monitor, speakers and to play at decent graphical settings your looking at atleast £700. Then factor in the price of games which are little different from their console counterparts.

With a console your initial input is a Console (PS3 my preference) at £270 and an HD TV (40" for £400, but obviously from 19" up at very low prices). Factor in a monthly charge for broadband and much more regular upgrades and I completely fail to see how you can possibly argue it is comparable to console gaming

so 700 for a pc vs 670 for a ps3 setup? you can make £30 from only 2 games that are about £15 cheaper on pc. imagine in the long term... your broadband comment doesnt make any sense.

Last edited:
Soldato

It's cheaper because if you have a console you still need a PC to do other things so once you factor in the cost of buying your average family PC (£400'ish), a console, good TV etc. then it's only marginly more expensive, and it's worth the extra cash.

your broadband comment doesnt make any sense.

Indeed, you still have to pay the internet bill on a console :confused:

Permabanned
It's cheaper because if you have a console you still need a PC to do other things so once you factor in the cost of buying your average family PC (£400'ish), a console, good TV etc. then it's only marginly more expensive, and it's worth the extra cash.

thats one of the biggest reasons that people rarely mention. everybody needs a pc so how about you put some extra money into it so it can play games as well? plus in the end you get pc that is a pleasure to work with in every day tasks. console setup + pc for every day tasks is much more expensive than a gaming pc.

Caporegime
yeah it does have long loading times due to the very slow blu ray player but its not that bad.

so 700 for a pc vs 670 for a ps3 setup? you can make £30 from only 2 games that are about £15 cheaper on pc. imagine in the long term... your broadband comment doesnt make any sense.

It's pretty bad, and i only have 7200rpm drives!

Associate

This is a serious post?? How many console gamers don't have a monitor, speakers and broadband anyway?

Lets take 2 situations over 5 years

Console:
TV: £400
PS3: £270 or £180 for Xbox360
Rubbish PC: £450
PS3 online: Free £200 for Xbox 360's online

So that's £1120 for PS3 or £1230 for Xbox360 (assuming they don't break)

PC:
PC: £700 + £100 for new graphics card half way through the 5 years - maybe not even that if you are selling the old one

So thats £800, and you have a nice PC, will probably spend less on games and you get all the advantages of PC gaming. Even if you insist on a £400 TV as well, it's still pretty much the same price... Who cares if over 5 years, the PC is £30 more including the TV... Heck who cares if it's £300 more... Over 5 years, you can easily rack up 2000 hours, so £300 more is only 15p per hour.

Soldato
40 inch HD Telly + 360 120gig/Games around a Grand with everything.
My PC E6600 @3.4ghz + 4890 + 4gig + Benq/Games around 500 quid. Sorry what was your Question again ? :p
On top of the above when I am not gaming my 360 sits dead where as with my PC I use that to Capture pasty for the Royal Smashing. :D
Most households have a TV, we can't really make that a cost of playing console games, just like you can't really use the cost of the entire PC - just the parts of the PC that make it a "gaming" one.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Most households have a TV, we can't really make that a cost of playing console games, just like you can't really use the cost of the entire PC - just the parts of the PC that make it a "gaming" one.

The only reason I got the HD telly was for the 360 & the only reason I got my PC was to game.
I can only give my personal experience & that is how it is.

Soldato
My PC that i failed to sell for £350 can run BC2 with ease. £1500 is a ridiculous amount to spend on any PC in my opinion, unless you;re a benchtester or competitive overclocker.

But someone else said it on page one. The argument is old, and it happens here at least twice a week.

Associate
Well most people have a PC so how you should look at it the only item in you're PC that is Gaming hardware is the grahpics card so £250 card is like buying a box n lets face it everyone has a PC.. unless you're a cave man/woman.

Soldato
I think the argument that most houses have a PC already that you could just buy a graphics card for is partly flawed. A typical PC you would find in someones house might have a 200w PSU, 1gig RAM and a single-core CPU or maybe a 2.2GHZ dual-core if you're lucky.

Man of Honour
I think the argument that most houses have a PC already that you could just buy a graphics card for is partly flawed. A typical PC you would find in someones house might have a 200w PSU, 1gig RAM and a single-core CPU or maybe a 2.2GHZ dual-core if you're lucky.

lol, where did you even get that from?

Back
Top Bottom