system not powering up

Associate
Hello, I recently purchased some upgrades for my system, these are the specs:

AMD Phenom II X2 Dual core 550 3.10GHz
Silver Power 400W SP-SS400 PSU
Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD 770 (Socket AM3AM2+) PCI-E Motherboard
XFX ATI Radeon 4850 GFX Card.
Also have a CD-drive & 2 x 120mm fans connected.

My problem is that the system will not start at all. Nothing at all happens when I press the on button. As far as I know everything is connected properly. I've read and re-read the instruction manuals, checked all the connections thrice-over and also used the guide on these forums to build this PC.

I'm beginning to question whether my current PSU (Silver Power 400W SP-SS400 PSU) is powerful enough to run this system. but even then, surely I should get some sort of flicker of power or a dodgy-boot? So basically, I am asking for some help to solve this problem.

Thanks a lot,

desmond.

Associate
I don't think it's your PSU wattage.

Sounds silly, but have you checked that the switch on the PSU itself is on as well as the plug socket? I had a mate who forgot that once, boy did he go red! :p

Have you checked that non of the wires in your sockets are loose (ie the wires going into the plastic part itself)? I hear they can come loose if a cable is pulled out by a yank rather than by the plastic end.

Soldato
+1 to everything Howitzer said.

Also, with this upgrade did you change the motherboard? If so, are you sure that there are no unused stand-offs at the back of the board causing a short?

Are both the 24pin and 4/8 pin motherboard power connections connected?

The PSU (so long as it isn't dead) is good quality and should have no problem powering that system.

Associate
OP
Sorry I've been busy with work and other commitments, hence such a late reply.

I'm just about to check all of these points now. The motherboard is changed and I really do think it could be some unused standoffs or something.

Going to de-rig (if that is even a word!) everything and check the points you mentioned. cheers.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Id try assembling out the case, then try to short out the power button jumpers with a screw drivers instead of using a swtich.

Associate
Are you getting a light on the mobo to show that there is power going through it?

Do you get any fan spins at all when you press the power button?

Sounds to me like it may be an RMA for your mobo or psu...

Back
Top Bottom