Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Associate
There has been flying here at Coningsby for last couple of days, mainly the display pilot having a pratice and the odd tornado (I think there are e few GR4's here atm). Other than that flying has been virtually non existant probably due to the published reasons.

Caporegime
Actually there has been a large increase in quakes per year since 1980.

Take a look

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=15767475&postcount=27

No, all that shows is that seismometers picked up more quakes... To get a real understanding of whether the number of quakes has increased you need to correlate that data with the number (and increased sensitivity) of seismometers.

General scientific opinion is that the number of earthquakes has stayed broadly the same over the mid-long term (what I mean by that is evening out the yearly anomolies and taking trends of 10 years at a time).

This is a problem that plagues science, or at least popular science. People need to realise raw data (and that's what the above is) doesn't mean anything. It needs to be analysed in certain ways to actually be of any use. You can't just look at a load of raw data and go "Oh, look!" :)

EDIT: Firstly, where was that data actually from? Second, in fact the only odd thing about those numbers on their own is the abnormal number of 8+ magnitude earthquakes. Yes there is a slight increase of measured earthquakes but measuring over a 30 year period, not geologically significant in the slightest.

Watching those tremor charts is like really crappy foreplay. Katla is such a tease. :(

Haha :D

Last edited:
Soldato
To get a real understanding of whether the number of quakes has increased you need to correlate that data with the number (and increased sensitivity) of seismometers.

mag 8-9.9 1980-2000 = 10 A TWENTY YEAR GAP
mag 8-9.9 2000-2009 = 13 A NINE YEAR GAP

not sure but I'm sure you don't need to be worrying about modern equipment being more sensitive :D

Caporegime
mag 8-9.9 1980-2000 = 10 A TWENTY YEAR GAP
mag 8-9.9 2000-2009 = 13 A NINE YEAR GAP

not sure but I'm sure you don't need to be worrying about modern equipment being more sensitive :D

Check my EDIT :)

But still that means nothing on its own. The one thing that does confuse me (if those stats are correct) is that every large earthquake should have a significant number of aftershocks related to it, so the number of smaller quakes should be higher IMO.

Either way, general scientific opinion (ie the people that study earthquakes for a living) agrees with me so...:p

Caporegime
so instead of high-tech anti-aircraft systems all our enemies require is a big stockpile of ash and lots of wind turbines?

topzk.gif

That's not how windmills work puny human!

Man of Honour
Latest from NATS:

Update on Thursday April 22 at 21:30

Most of UK airspace continues to be available on Friday 23 April from 0100 (local) to 0700 (local). The no-fly zone is moving north, with the result that Kirkwall, Wick and Inverness airports will be available during this time; Stornoway will remain closed.

Conditions around the movement of the layers of the volcanic ash cloud over the UK remain dynamic. NATS will continue to monitor the latest Met Office information and the CAA’s updates on the density of the ash cloud across the UK.

Just the Hebrides to go.

Back
Top Bottom