• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE OFFICIAL GTX480/470 END USER REVIEW THREAD***

Soldato
received my MX-3 today, gonna do my card at the weekend. And again, really its just so it's less likely to spin the fan as fast
Do it now only takes 5 mins tops. Very easy to do takes longer to clean the existing paste & carefully open the plastic shroud than assembly/re-assembly! Just got 78C after 10 mins @ full GPU load with only just over 56% fan speed so still almost silent I would say around 95% silent @ this loading :eek:

bee

bee

Associate
max temp in 40mins of avatar in 3D vision was 81c with auto fan which hit 56% fan speed at its highest

framerates lol, something around 150% faster than my old gtx 260 in 3D, the difference is amazing and so far its more than living upto my expectations. gonna try some more 3D goodness

Permabanned
max temp in 40mins of avatar in 3D vision was 81c with auto fan which hit 56% fan speed at its highest

framerates lol, something around 150% faster than my old gtx 260 in 3D, the difference is amazing and so far its more than living upto my expectations. gonna try some more 3D goodness

how did you get avatar in 3D?

bee

bee

Associate
how did you get avatar in 3D?

the game :p its the 3rd best looking game in 3D imo, behind just cause 2 and metro 2033

framerates in bbfc2 are around 50% better for me in 3D, however that's with quite a lot higher settings, dx11 forced, high shadows 4xaa vs before with dx9, no aa, medium shadows

Last edited:
Associate
Hey all! New guy here.

I've been reading these forums for quite some time, impressive posts from many of you with this technology.. I thought it was about time i'd contribute aswell :)

I have ordered an Asus GTX 480 (last month -_-) and still hasn't arrived unfortunately. But when it does come, I will post up a crapload of benchmarks and pics as a lot of people requested to help out :)

One thing I can share currently though is recent delay in the supply of cards. The new stock date in many stores was the 19th of april, then pushed back to 21-23rd, and currently to degrade further.
Basically what happened was that all the major stores were meant to get the GFX cards at these times, but due to the Volcano issues.. importing the goods has caused many issues.
I contacted many stores asking where the hell is the stock basically.. they all gave the same answer, its overdue as their suppliers werent able to get hold of them due to Flying transport/Volcano

Soldato
Got my EK-FC480 GTX installed:

web.jpg

Nothing more satisfying then injecting cool H2O onto hot Silicon. :D

i so envy you :eek: ive got my waterblock coming from EK as we speak,

62301013.jpg

can i ask how long it took to get to you here in the UK? from the date of sending?

ohh and very nice results on the temps, exactly what i would expect on a good WC set up.

Soldato
wow I love the 470's side profile, its just a brick 'yeh i'm here, i've arrived' lol

@Gripen that side panel fan looks to be in a really great position, was it a custom mod?

@bee good to know just cause 2 is good in 3D and on your GTX480, does the game have a good feel to it in 3D? I want to get the 27'' 120hz Asus TFT @ 1900x1200 for 3D gaming, gonna need some powah:)

and is that a new version of furmark?

Associate
wow I love the 470's side profile, its just a brick 'yeh i'm here, i've arrived' lol

@Gripen that side panel fan looks to be in a really great position, was it a custom mod?

Thank you, yea now you mention it they look like brick hehe :p The sidepanel is the standard sidepanel for Coolermaster CM690 nVidia Edition, but I replaced the original 120mm one for a 140mm Scythe Kaze Maru 1900rpm fan which uses 120mm mounting holes :)

Associate
Load the GPU then see the difference plus allow cure time as well ;)

MX-3 doesn't have a cure time and believe me the GPU has been loaded to hell! However I was just reading a review of MX-3 and it is recommended to just bead the CPU/GPU not spread because you can get air pockets. The way MX-3 spreads means that this does actually make some sense so I might reapply.

bee

bee

Associate
@Bee good to know just cause 2 is good in 3D and on your GTX480, does the game have a good feel to it in 3D? I want to get the 27'' 120hz Asus TFT @ 1900x1200 for 3D gaming, gonna need some powah:)

just cause 2 is THE game to play in 3D its incredible, it pushed the card a LOT more than avatar and some others that i've tried though. so i set up some fan node points with msi afterburner. to me the fan at 70% is not harsh at all, at 80% it sounds like my old gtx 260 at 75%, so i set it up to ramp up at certain temps and it never goes above 75c with 80% fan

Associate
MX-3 doesn't have a cure time and believe me the GPU has been loaded to hell! However I was just reading a review of MX-3 and it is recommended to just bead the CPU/GPU not spread because you can get air pockets. The way MX-3 spreads means that this does actually make some sense so I might reapply.

I've just spent the last half hour reapplying the TIMM. When I removed the heat sink there was the thinnest layer of MX-3 seemingly doing it's job of filling any voids. Anyway after cleaning I reapplied MX-3 using the single bead method and seated the heat sink. I then removed the heat sink again! Again the MX-3 seemed to be doing it's job but because the heat sink has grooves I decided to start again with AS5 which is a bit more viscous and spreadable.

I've run another test using kombustor and no discernable difference in temps. To be fair AS5 unlike MX-3 does have a curing time so time will tell!

Soldato
I saw in one pic the 480 heatpipes almost looked like direct-contact ones? like the titan fenrir CPU cooler...

Maybe that's why that loads of TIM there so they would fill the gaps well?
MX-3 doesn't have cure time IIRC

Gripen you have TWO really high end rigs! living teh dream...:D

Back
Top Bottom