• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4870X2 DVI Socket broken, advice please

Associate
Here's the story,

Swapped the DVI cable from my old PC to the 4870X2 in my newer one, powered up and no display....

The DVI socket on the card always was a bit chewed up (after buying 2nd hand) and when I removed the cable one of the contacts had snapped off.

It is the contact that the arrow is pointing to in the picture below...

dviedit.jpg

Because the top contact has broken off, the corresponding flat pin on the cable doesn't touch the both the top and bottom contacts.

I tried plugging the cable into the second socket but that didn't provide a display either.

I have basically wrapped a few strands of copper wire up in aluminium foil, shoved in as a buffer to provide the connection and I am now getting a display...

Here are my questions:

Was that a stupid thing to do? :p

Or sensibly phrased, will what I have done have any detrimental effects on the card and/or connector?

What are your suggestions for solving the problem in a more elegant manner?

Is the left-hand (closest to motherboard) DVI socket the primary connector or can I use the other connector from now on, bearing in mind nothing happened when I was plugged into that one earlier?

Thanks muchly

Ed

Associate
I would personally dismantal the cooler off the card and buy a soildering iron and a new DVI socket and fit a new one, Don't forget solder sucker and flux. EZ PZ

Associate
OP
You can use either of the two DVI ports, so if you've only 1 monitor you've no problems :)

Is it just plug and play?

I assumed that's what I could do but I got no display when I did that initially...?

I'll try the other port again in a minute, if it doesn't work I hope I can get my bodge job working again!

Associate
OP
Ok, well panic over I guess.

I'm plugged into the other DVI socket, which looks like it's never been used and everything is ok....

Weird that absolutely nothing happened when I did that before! It got me really worried!

I'll just stick to using the second socket from now on.

Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom