• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 480/ HD 5870

Man of Honour
You would be surprised at the number of gamers who have to use their PCs for work as well. In that case, Ati gamer cards are great for games, but pretty much games only. You would have to buy a FireGL otherwise which are very expensive and not as good at games.

I've worked at a number of studios who use Nvidia gaming cards in their productions. It saves money from having to buy a Quatro or FireGL, and you can play games on your lunch breaks.

You do realise you can softmod most Ati cards to their FirePro equivalent with a 3x increase in performance, AND that FirePro cards are pretty equivalent to their Nvidia competitors.

Can't wait for a softmod for the 5870 to a V8800 (which is 40% faster than the old V8750)

Soldato
Permabanned
when i read the initial reviews i was disappointed and i would go for the 5870 back then. however, after people started receiving their cards and posting benchmarks, temps etc. i completely changed my mind. i would easily get the gtx 480 now. there is no gtx 4xx disappointed owner to be found.

the gtx 480 is the fastest card in every single game with a few exceptions here and there in a couple of obviously flawed reviews and with overclocking they become monsters matching the 5970 in many cases.

finally, anyone that knows what he is talking about would say that 3d vision is way bigger and more important than dx11, eyefinity/nvidia surround, physx etc. and worth alone the price difference.

P.S. overclocking in 5xxx is overhyped like crazy. the architecture is severely bottlenecked and no amount of clocking will change that. maxed oced 5870 cant even match a stock 480 so forget about the poor 5850... on the other hand overclocking a gtx 480 or 470 scales amazingly like no other gpu i've ever seen.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem with your logic here being that a Renault is not better than a BMW. They are just awful, awful cars.
Again, that's an opinion! You can't really compare the 2 brands, they are aimed at totally different markets. Currently have a Scéníc and it's the best car for us on the market. I think what the guy was getting at is that brand loyalty means a great deal to people. However, there are huge crossovers with ATI and NV and that makes the decision easier. Doesn't mean they have different features, but they have a roughly similiar market, much closer than the difference between BMW and Renault...

Soldato
when i read the initial reviews i was disappointed and i would go for the 5870 back then. however, after people started receiving their cards and posting benchmarks, temps etc. i completely changed my mind. i would easily get the gtx 480 now. there is no gtx 4xx disappointed owner to be found.

the gtx 480 is the fastest card in every single game with a few exceptions here and there in a couple of obviously flawed reviews and with overclocking they become monsters matching the 5970 in many cases.

finally, anyone that knows what he is talking about would say that 3d vision is way bigger and more important than dx11, eyefinity/nvidia surround, physx etc. and worth alone the price difference.

P.S overclocking in 5xxx is overhyped like crazy. the architecture is bottlenecked like crazy and no amount of clocking will change that. maxed oced 5870 cant even match a stock 480 so forget about the poor 5850... on the other hand overclocking a gtx 480 or 470 scales amazingly like no other gpu i've ever seen.

On smack ?

Soldato
Duran said:

Does the HD5970 no longer exist or something?!

Also I take it we are ignoring the fact that the GTX480 is ~£130 more than the HD5870 (cheapest models for both cards chosen on OCUK). This also forgets that you can buy a ~£230 HD5850 and clock it to within 5% of a clocked HD5870 (1000/5000).

finally, anyone that knows what he is talking about would say that 3d vision is way bigger and more important than dx11, eyefinity, physx etc. and worth alone the price difference.

Just..... oh my....

Permabanned
ATi drivers are crippled if you want to use them for anything but Direct Compute or Games. Try using an Ati card with Applications such as 3D Studio Max, Maya, XSI, Z-Brush and you'll start to see why people buy Nvidia cards over Ati.

I've used them all (regularly use 3DS Max) and I don't really know what your point is? They work fine on my PC and I've got 2x 4850s...

Permabanned

Be serious, anyone spending £400+ on any card is going to be inflicted with PJS (Purchase Justification Syndrome).

Permabanned
but then you could clock the 480. You can't compare clocked -v- stock???

Clock speeds don't mean anything as the two cards use dissimilar architecture. They are only comparable by the benchmarks they produce and not by their specification on paper. I don't think there's really any arguing that the 480 is the faster single GPU but the 5870's strength is in it's price over performance which outstrips it's competition by a long way..

I'm well aware that clock speed means nothing between two cards. Clock speed is relative to itself.

My point was that, based on initial benchmarks, GTX480s clocked very poorly, where as we know 5800s clock very well.

That was the basis of what I said, If it turns out (though it's not lookling like that yet) that the 480s clock well, then great.

Associate
I've used them all (regularly use 3DS Max) and I don't really know what your point is? They work fine on my PC and I've got 2x 4850s...

The point hes making is that the GTX has tremendous power for computing tasks, you say your PC does them apps just fine but to what degree?

For whatever reasons you use that rendering software, you clearly don't do very high end projects that require major power from the GPU for rendering + realtime work.
I've done basic 3d Maya stuff on my intel onboard graphics laptop, worked totally fine, but the point is that it only works up to a certain point in the project.

Besides.. other reasons for the GTX computing tasks is not just for 3D apps, but for LOADS of other apps which people demand a GFX card like that. Folding@Home, Science/universities/etc, GPU video encoding (epic) etc.
Then of course the other features for such things like gaming.. PhysX and 3D Vision anyone?

If you are the kind of person that needs these things, then you will obviously get an Nvidia card. But if your a person thats only into gaming or a variety of simple GPU required tasks.. then why waste the money if you already believe it isn't a good purchase? :)

Permabanned
The point hes making is that the GTX has tremendous power for computing tasks, you say your PC does them apps just fine but to what degree?

For whatever reasons you use that rendering software, you clearly don't do very high end projects that require major power from the GPU for rendering + realtime work.
I've done basic 3d Maya stuff on my intel onboard graphics laptop, worked totally fine, but the point is that it only works up to a certain point in the project.

Besides.. other reasons for the GTX computing tasks is not just for 3D apps, but for LOADS of other apps which people demand a GFX card like that. Folding@Home, Science/universities/etc, GPU video encoding (epic) etc.
Then of course the other features for such things like gaming.. PhysX and 3D Vision anyone?

If you are the kind of person that needs these things, then you will obviously get an Nvidia card. But if your a person thats only into gaming or a variety of simple GPU required tasks.. then why waste the money if you already believe it isn't a good purchase? :)

Re-read their post, it was pretty clear that they were implying you couldn't use one for 3D work.

Besides, all that you've just said, it's completely irrelevant to what I said because I'm not disputing that.

However, for what it's worth, you're not actually correct, portions of Transformers was rendered, in realtime (using ray tracing) on HD2900XTs.

But again, list all the stuff I didn't talk about all you want, it's not relevant to what I said.

*Your sig is also against the rules.*

Last edited:
Associate
Re-read their post, it was pretty clear that they were implying you couldn't use one for 3D work.
You both said relatively flawed arguments, I attempted to correct that.
Besides, all that you've just said,
Sorry it was not relevant to what you said, I was actually referring to the first post on this threads question, I should have made that more clear.

Please explain what I was not correct on, and evidence for HD2900 Transformers?

Silly sig :(

Back
Top Bottom