Tablet Laptop

Associate
Looking at laptops for Uni. decided on the HP touchsmart tablet series (not gonna persuade me otherwise unless its another tablet laptop that performs better within a similar price ... and ive heard all the scare stories about the hp ones :p).

was eyeing up the tx2-1340. noticed it had gone from £850 at christmas to £600 about two weeks ago. now its been replaced by the tm2-1010 at £800. The difference is the tx2 had a 2.3ghz turion dual and 780g, while the tm2 had some low voltage intel dual at 1.3ghz with a 4570 and a lot more battery life.

which one would be the better performer all round? i know the 4570 has twice the sp of the 780g, but surely the 2.3ghz turion is a better performer than the 1.3ghz intel. i really couldnt care less about battery life/power usage.

also, if the intel is miraculously a better performer, then does it perform £200 better?

edit: its a 4550, not a 4570, and apart from the differences above, the two are pretty much identical

Last edited:
Associate
Basically, no the Turion isn't all that. My brother has the original HP you reference, it's a nice laptop and the price is very good. But the new version is worth the extra... whether it's worth it to you is another matter, but the 1.3Ghz Intel CPU is a good performer, the graphics card is MUCH better and the battery life is obviously longer. Worth £200 in my book.

Associate
OP
Im not as fussed about the graphics. its got a 12" screen. if i get into gaming on that thing ill kiss my eyesight goodbye :/.

I do admit i prefer AMD where possible, but in the mobile sector i have almost always said go with intel if someone wants an opinion. If this low volt chip can seriously outperform something running a whole Ghz faster (i admit im still kinda sceptical), then ill go for it. if they're roughly on par then i think ill keep my 200 quid.

again, couldnt give a toss about battery life

Associate
OP
time to revive an old thread, as hp have just updated the laptop with a pentium U5400 and a hd5450.

how does this chip compare to a)the turion RM-77 and b)the old pentium SU4100?

bearing in mind the tm2-2050 is looking to be around the £750 mark, and theres a tx2-1340ea on the bay for £450. My previous comment about not caring much about battery life still stands. However, the most i will probably ever stress it is with some light gaming from time to time (majority of the use will be word, tinternet etc)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom