Bowers & Wilkins MM-1

Associate
I dunno how good those speakers are but i know a pair of B&W 685's cost less than that and they are very highly regarded.

Ive been told spending over £150 on active speakers is a waste, not sure how true that is but an amp + speakers gives you more options in the long run.

And

And

Associate
Ive been told spending over £150 on active speakers is a waste, not sure how true that is but an amp + speakers gives you more options in the long run.

You've been told wrong IMO, the sky's the limit for active speakers, though personally I wouldn't spend less than £500 on a pair. If it's for a computer sod the amp and buy a good internal (or external) soundcard/device.

Associate
http://www.teufel.eu/PC-Multimedia/Concept-B200.cfm these have something that could fill your criteria ^^ ... i have them, i can say that i notice a difference with the external soundcard, however im unconvinced with the speakers. When i got them, i wasnt overwhelmed as others say about other speakers, maybe thats because they're meant to be accurate speakers, rather than big bass big effects (2.1 systems). Maybe their flatness and accuracy wears tired im not sure. All the reviews (the vast majority) speak very highly of them, and i havnt listened to a great deal of speakers to compare with. - Ive listened to a pair of JBL controlls (on some very expensive amplifier equipment), and after listening to these they sounded like laptop speakers, so maybe i just need a holiday from them to appreciate them. - Just some speakers to consider. though as said, as value goes amp + bookshelf speakers is where its at...

And

And

Associate
http://www.teufel.eu/PC-Multimedia/Concept-B200.cfm these have something that could fill your criteria ^^ ... i have them, i can say that i notice a difference with the external soundcard, however im unconvinced with the speakers. When i got them, i wasnt overwhelmed as others say about other speakers, maybe thats because they're meant to be accurate speakers, rather than big bass big effects (2.1 systems). Maybe their flatness and accuracy wears tired im not sure. All the reviews (the vast majority) speak very highly of them, and i havnt listened to a great deal of speakers to compare with. - Ive listened to a pair of JBL controlls (on some very expensive amplifier equipment), and after listening to these they sounded like laptop speakers, so maybe i just need a holiday from them to appreciate them. - Just some speakers to consider. though as said, as value goes amp + bookshelf speakers is where its at...

Flatness, in terms of speakers is good. With those Teufels you're only going down to 80hz so you'll never get a big bass as you would a system with a sub. For an extra £50 for example you could pick up some Blue Sky Exos which would give you 2.1. All boils down to how much you want to spend.

What has got to be considered is there are 1001 things which can make good speakers sound bad...

Soldato
£400 is pretty cheap for good quality active speakers, but these -6db down at 57Hz so don't expect oodles of bass. Mackie of Genelec would be better but more expensive.

B&W seem for have gone for style over sound quality with this model, judging by the spec, I wouldn't mind hearing a pair tho, bi-amping is the way forward in my opinion...

Soldato
I highly recommend the Audioengine A5s. At ~£250 they sound great.
These are a good shout, I've heard a pair of these and for £250 I wouldn't complain. :) I think they may even beat the B&W's if you compared them side by side, but the B&W's do have the funky curved enclosures which may cause less colouration... I think you need to hear them both as well as comparing the spec... I've found the spec only tells you so much. :)

Back
Top Bottom