• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HDMI on graphics card question

Soldato
Hey guys,

Say i made this spare rig into a HTPC...

E6300 @ 2.8Ghz|
Msi P35 Neo-F|
2Gb 800Mhz|
120Gb HDD|
Vista X64 Ultimate
small HTPC case

And purchased a HD 4350 512Mb graphics card with HDMI output,

Obviusly id use the HDMI on that card to send the picture from the HTPC to my TV.....but would it also do the sound through HDMI? from the pc to the TVs speakers?

Tks

Soldato
Yes, the sound is sent via the HDMI connection on that card.

Quote from anandtech:
Like the rest of the Radeon HD 4000 series (4870, 4850, 4670 and 4650) the new Radeon HD 4550 and 4350 both support 8-channel LPCM over HDMI. This makes these two cards the perfect addition to any HTPC for use in a 6 or 8 channel home theater setup.

Soldato
Hm...ain't a Vista-64bit with just 2GB of ram cutting a bit close?

I reckon its just for HTPC duties, then 2GB should be fine. However, if its going to be called in to do some number crunching (as some people use HTPCs to rip and transcode files) then more RAM would likely aid performance.

I built my parents a wee HTPC with 2GB RAM, Q8200, integrated 9300 gpu and Win 7 32 bit. It works great for HD video files and Blu-ray and no hint of running out of memory.

Back
Top Bottom