Soft7 2.0b1 released

Soldato
ooh i like this. a lot more effort has been put into this than your usual windows 7 themes. i see it's had many more windows controls styled rather than just the window border. :)

Don
I used to play around with XPize in XP, but I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole in Vista/7, since files that Windows update replaces are archived within Windows.

You could be opening up a plethora of problems for the future.

Performance 'tweaks' and bitmap patches like these should not be used in Vista / 7

Associate
OP
I have been using custom themes since January with no problems at all.

chronic86 check his previous versions for instructions.

Soldato
I used to play around with XPize in XP, but I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole in Vista/7, since files that Windows update replaces are archived within Windows.

You could be opening up a plethora of problems for the future.

Performance 'tweaks' and bitmap patches like these should not be used in Vista / 7
I've been using custom themes, patches, dlls since vista. Never had a problem. Maybe you've been unlucky.

Don
I haven't used any myself, but they eventually will cause problems. XPize had problems of it's own when it came to MS updates, and that was just files referencing dll's which made the newer files run into memory problems because too much space was being taken up by the custom bitmaps in the dlls.

Now they're stored in the winsxs folder forever, so you may be fine for ages then an old program references it and you're presented with a problem. one that MS wouldn't get or even attempt to fix

Using custom visual styles is much safer since that is only changing the display aspect of windows and not the files it depends on the most to make the visual modifications

Back
Top Bottom