Help with Visual Studio DB Connection

Associate
Hi

I'm not a dev by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like to dabble occasionally. I'm trying to use Visual Studio to connect to a PostgreSQL database, but I'm having a few issues.

It's the first time I've used VS and I like to learn as I go along, I find that's often the best method to learn. I want to build a Windows application that first start by authenticating a user by querying the PostgreSQL DB, but I cannot figure out how to do it. Do I use the DataSet wizard? Or should I code it manually? I have an ODBC connection setup in Windows, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to query the DB from within the application's form.

Basically, I have 2 field at the moment, and a button. I want the application to execute a query when the user clicks the button and verify the username and password by querying the DB. Do I open a DB connection when the button is clicked? Or is the DB connection persistent throughout runtime?

Please give me a clue!

Thanks

Associate
C#
using System.Data.Odbc
OdbcConnection cn = new OdbcConnection("DSN=YOUR_DSN_NAME");

VB.net
Dim cn as OdbcConnection
cn = new OdbcConnection("DSN=YOUR_DSN_NAME")

You then use cn.Open() to attempt to connect.

I am guessing you'll want to do something like the below once the button is pressed.

Connect to Datasource

If connected successfully execute query. e.g.

SELECT * FROM tableUsers WHERE USERNAME=" & userText & " AND PASSWORD= " & textPass

* Assuming password is plain-text

Any results returned? If not let them try again once or twice then disconnect them and close connection.

If you search Google for "ODBC VB.net" or "ODBC C#" you'll find plenty of examples.

Back
Top Bottom