Scratched Lens

Associate
Hi guys,

I think there's only one solution here, but thought I'd ask (or maybe vent) a bit first.

I've scratched the lens on my Tokina 10-17. The damage shows up in the image as a blur - very obvious from about f5.6, not so much at f4... but then my DOF is starting to suffer slightly.

Tokina want €160 + postage to the Netherlands, as well as 2 weeks + to replace the front element. Any idea of anywhere in the UK, or anywhere cheaper?

I guess that the FE is the same as the Pentax equivalent... but does anyone hold spares in the UK?

I was thinking about putting up with it, but it really has ruined the lens. You can't get a filter for them either - though a friend has shown me a rather clever method involving simply gaffa taping a filter to the front of the lens hood! I take it skydiving, so it can sometimes get knocked about.

Just a bit annoyed at the expense, that's all. And no, it wasn't insured.

See the blurry patch over this guys face and extending to a foot or so above his head:
4432733172_260baa09a7_o.jpg

Hard to capture the damaged lens, but you can roughly see the damage here:
img6464j.jpg

Oh well. It could have been a more expensive lens (though then it would have been insured...)

Associate
id do the home filter mod and id also have a bash at making it better yourself first since its going to cost either way for a new bit of glass so you cant do anymore harm

Associate
OP
Any ideas?

Tried serious polishing, but you can feel it with your fingernail... it's not going to rub out.

Also tried "filling" in the scratch with permanent marker to reduce glare from the cut glass, but it was still pretty much the same (maybe even worse) so I just cleaned it off again.

Associate
you can get proper glass scratch filler, depends how deep the scratch is, i guess either way its not going to be as good as perfect ever until its replaced and seeing your sig i guess the photos are for clients so maybe its just worth getting it done professionally and knowing or next time with a filter?

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Any ideas?

Tried serious polishing, but you can feel it with your fingernail... it's not going to rub out.

Also tried "filling" in the scratch with permanent marker to reduce glare from the cut glass, but it was still pretty much the same (maybe even worse) so I just cleaned it off again.

I don't think permanent marker is going to do much, I'd try black poster paint.

Associate
Try autoglass.....1/2 joking with that, I'm sure nothing would be as good as a completely new front element. However seeing the improvement with my windscreen after a chip repair i think it could be worth it

Associate
Try autoglass.....1/2 joking with that, I'm sure nothing would be as good as a completely new front element. However seeing the improvement with my windscreen after a chip repair i think it could be worth it

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Brilliant.

On a serious note fixation are highly recommended.

Associate

Joking or not, if you can get it up to the Stockport branch over the weekend, I'll happily throw some Jeweller's Rouge on it. The repair resin won't do a thing to it though ;)

Associate
OP
OK, I'll try fixation! Thanks! Stockport is a bit far, but I'm up for trying anything as if it needs replacing I'm going to give it everything I've got first!

Cheers!

Associate
OP
Thanks Nash!

I rang Fixation today - they said that they would just send it back to Tokina anyway... so it would be cheaper for me to do it myself.

I've found that a 58mm filter will kind of screw on to the lens hood (would need some tape too), but shows up at 13mm and wider.

Back
Top Bottom