So how is this 3D gaming going to work on PS3???

Soldato
I know how 3D actually works, but intrigued to know whether all games will be 3D via some software jigaripokery or will games require an update or will it only work on future titles released in 3D?

With movies they need to be filmed in 3D to get the 3D effect but because all games are effectively an interactive 3D environment then surely it should be simple to make most games 3D.

3D monitors have been out for a little while on PC iirc, so has anyone played on one of these and do you need specific titles to run in 3D or does it 'just kinda work'?

Ooh and if you have played 3D games,... what's it like?

Soldato
I'm assuming that the 3D firmware update will make existing games into 3D by way of a software solution. Games made for 3D won't need it.

Certain Samsung 3D tellies can convert normal 2D broadcasting into 3D viewing. Also, Warner Bros are using computers to convert existing movies into 3D. Take Clash of the Titans 3D as your example to that. Not truely wonderful.

Never played any 3D games tho. The Wii head tracker demo on youtube is great fun tho :)

Soldato
I doubt it'll be able to run all it's games in 3d, the PS3 lacks the power to support it's graphics and put it into 3d, which in any situation pretty much halves the fps, which for a fair few games the PS3 can't afford to do.

Permabanned
3D tvs are like £2,000 and I think their is another method of doing it with different glass waiting in the wings, just like LCD tvs we have now and LED ones coming out but are very very expensive.

Soldato
I've had demo's of all the 3D TV's coming out within the next year or so and the Sony screens where the best, also their Active Glasses were the most comfortable but Samsung's 8 and 9 series were able to convert 2D to semi 3D. I saw semi as things dont pop out at you in this mode but the image certainly has more depth. Viewing the PS3 in 3D on the Sony screen was a visual treat. They showed us Motorstorm and GT5.

Soldato
from what people have said, itll work amazingly D:

not really. anyway to address ur points:

1.i doubt all games will be true 3d , it will depend on the developer implementing it into games.
2. it is simple to have it emulated but for the true experience devs nede to go back and make changes.
3. again specific titles work better, but for emulated ones it works ok the depth is there but has issues like fire etc just being really 2d and making things looks worse.

3ds not all that, its already been shown that wipeout hd has been knocked down to 720p and 30fps bc the ps3 can not handle 3d well.
that is a performance drop im not willing to take just for effectively a bit of pop especially in a game like wipeout which demands precision and a stable framerate+buffer.

Soldato
yes, really. Actually.

Id rather trust kotaku, with people who have played it rather than someone sat here telling me what they doubt and speculate by sitting on their backside.

"How is it?

Amazing, really. Seeing PlayStation 3 games like MotorStorm, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and Wipeout HD in simulated 3D is surprisingly convincing. And, according to Sony reps on the show floor, it also helps give a better sense of depth perception in the above mentioned racing games. It certainly impressed more than the video content Sony was showing off, but we're clearly biased (toward video games, that is).

The only downside noticeable while standing near the space-age display was that screen-tearing is much more annoying in 3D.

We've been promised a chance to go hands-on with the PS3 games in 3D later today (shhh... don't tell) so, hopefully, we'll be able to give you the verdict on not just how it looks, but how it plays.
"

Permabanned
You do know 3D games are going to hit your performance hard... for NVision you need at least high end graphics cards in Sli for an enjoyable experience, so how the PS3 will cope I am not sure, I assume lower the resolution, AA etc... From what iv seen id rather have maxed out performance settings than 3D.

Soldato
yes, really. Actually.
Id rather trust kotaku, with people who have played it rather than someone sat here telling me what they doubt and speculate by sitting on their backside.

do you just absorb everything you see without really looking at the facts?

i have the nvidia 3d at home, which is no doubt more experience on 3d then you have.
what kotaku (which is far from a great website) fail to mention is the facts i posted above, that performance is literally hit hard, wipeout hd goes from 1080p 60fps to 720p 30fps thats a massive difference and one that fundamentally affects a game like that.

Memphis post above, pretty much says exactly that, and several other game sites have analysed it too and it hasnt been positive.

its simply not worth it at present

Last edited:
Soldato
I had researched into this quite a bit a while back.
Sony still havnt really said much about it...

Read the first post or two here might help.

I find the possibility that 3D vision with 3D motion control could be a major factor for gaming in the future. Sony seem to be ready to clean up if it takes off. The standard is for 720p @ 50/60Hz but games dont have to be rendered natively in 720p. Also dont assume it requires 2x the processing in rendering.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Excellent thread - cheers.

I have to say that I was at the cinema the other week watching a film in 3D and an advert for Sky 3D came on... I was absolutely blown away by the football and rugby in 3D - made more of an impression than any film I have seen in 3D by a long way.

Can't wait to play games like Fifa in 3D and these wont take such a performance hit as they are not graphically demanding games anyway... driving games would also be great in 3D too I would imagine.

Back
Top Bottom