• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What is the Best NVidia 470/480 Manufacturer ?!

Associate
Hi m8s,

I'm about to order 470 or 480 but I'm not sure which manufacturer to choose. So far we have EVGA, Gainward, Asus, Zotac, Gygabyte, Galaxy, Palit, ScanFX, MSI on the UK market. The spec of all cards seems to be the same and don't really care how the card would look like once it is inside of my case.

Pricewise PALIT + GAINWARD are the best, for £299 inc Vat you can buy GTX470 or pay £110 more and get yourself PALIT GTX 480 card (yes, just for £410 inc Vat). If to be honest I havn't heard anything positive or negative about Palit, so I am not quite sure if this brand is reliable or not.

I used to be a big ASUS fan, but since the purchase of one of the latest motherboards I am not all that keen on them now, however, having ASUS MoBo, I thought about buying ASUS GTX 470, hoping that formula "ASUS + ASUS = Happy User" would work for me. :p

I would really appreciate if you could just drop a line or two here saying what Manufacture you decided to go ahead with and WHY.

Cheerz

P.S. No, I don't want to buy Ati 5850 or 5870, TNX.

Soldato
I would suggest going with the Zotac. It has a 5 year warranty. When you are spending this kind of money on a graphics card, and they run at 90 degrees+ under load, you really want a good, long warranty backing it up.

Associate
I would suggest going with the Zotac. It has a 5 year warranty. When you are spending this kind of money on a graphics card, and they run at 90 degrees+ under load, you really want a good, long warranty backing it up.

they all ahve at elast 2 years and i can't recall keeping a card for much longer than that!

Soldato
they all ahve at elast 2 years and i can't recall keeping a card for much longer than that!

Wow, really? They just go in the bin?

All my old graphics cards go into my family's computers. My sister has a BFG 9800GTX (7 years of warranty remaining) and my Grandad has my old XFX 7800GTX 512MB (which if i'm not mistaken has a lifetime warranty).

Suffice to say, a long warranty can be a nice thing to have.

Associate
The only real difference between the cards is the warranty. Most of those cards are 2 years, Asus 3 years and Zotac 5 years. I'm yet to see a 470/480 with only a years warranty thankfully.

The way I see it is I tend to only keep a card for 2 years anyway so I'd just try and get the cheapest if I want one now or wait longer for more asus/zotac to show up.

Caporegime
Generally speaking a card will normally fail quickly, or not at all, if its going to fail due to high temps, it will fail pretty quickly if its overheating to unsafe levels.

The few cards I've ever had that failed, failed within a month or arrived not working(only one out of dozens and dozens that I can recall was DOA). I've got, x800gt's, a GF4MX(don't worry didn't pay for it, got it free with a mobo/cpu for reviewing), x1950 pro's, a GF3 that worked still 6-7 years later.

The problem is, if the say, x1950pro was still in warranty, it would cost £10 to ship it off and wait weeks for a replacement, I can buy a faster card for £30 that uses 1/4 of the power to be faster, with more features and I could get it next day. Theres very little point in RMA'ing something like that these days.

Either way, all the Nvidia cards will be made by the same company right now, the only difference in quality of build between brands, is who puts the stickers on the straightest ;)

IIRC Palit are the parent company of Gainward anyway and I can't actually remember who the "main" production company are for Nvidia, the one who makes them all then sends them off for rebranding, Zotac or Palit I think but, can't remember at the moment.

Associate
Id have to say EVGA, but dont think they are not out in the UK yet. They provide excellent customer service, can put after market coolers on without voiding warrenty also still provide that excellent 90 day step-up if you so desire.

Associate
OP
You can buy EVGA GTX 470 in the UK for £335 which makes it one of the most expensive brands.

I've read lots of reviews today and it looks like 470 is the perfect card for me, but I am still not quite sure which manufacturer to choose.

Soldato
The average 470 price is £350 ish and the 480 is £480. If you can buy at the prices you quoted, you could make a living off them. At auction you would have no trouble getting £400 and £600+ respectively from the ill informed ebayer.

Last edited:
Soldato
The average 470 price is £350 ish and the 480 is £480. If you can buy at the prices you quoted, you could make a living off them. At auction you would have no trouble getting £400 and £600+ respectively from the ill informed ebayer.

Where have you got these "average prices" from :confused:

You're looking at the wrong etailers jigger, I've seen the palit 470 for as little as £286 inc VAT, and I would say the average 480 is somewhere around the £450 mark,

with the Gainwards and palits at the cheaper end of the scale coming in at roughly £410.

As for which one to buy,

You can use MSI AfterBurner with ANY brand GeForce GTX 480, trust me when I say, the cards are all the same and partners have purchased them from NVIDIA directly.

link

Back
Top Bottom