Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Owners

Soldato
Hi im after some info please from Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 owners.

Ive had to get rid of my old board today so ive installed the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 ,ive just noticed in cpuz that the bios running is F1 which im sure is quite old.

Do i need to update bios to a later version?

Soldato
OP
You should do update to the latest f5 bios on the gigabyte website, and I uprated it through windows with a program gigabyte provided on the disk

Dont think in a million years i would update a bios though windows as that could easily flash the board wrong and kill it.

I will update using a flash drive using the Q flash utility,thanks for the info

Soldato
No @BIOS is a tool that allows you to upgrade the BIOS from the BIOS instead of doing it through windows.

I wouldn't dream of upgrading my BIOS through Windows, heard to many stories of people borking their mobos because of bad flashes..

Sorry it's Q Flash iirc, @ BIOS is the windows based tool.

Soldato
OP
No @BIOS is a tool that allows you to upgrade the BIOS from the BIOS instead of doing it through windows.

I wouldn't dream of upgrading my BIOS through Windows, heard to many stories of people borking their mobos because of bad flashes..

Sorry it's Q Flash iirc, @ BIOS is the windows based tool.

All updated i done the unthinkable and used the giga bios tool thorough windows:eek:
Wont do that again my heart was beating too fast :)

Soldato
Always go here to the official Gigabyte bios forums:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/
They have bios sometimes weeks before it goes up on the official site. I am on the same mobo & my bios version is F12 which supports the latest 32nm Intel CPU's as well as a load of memory timing & other small tweaks.

Good thing about gigabyte is that the bios has a dual backup so no way to ever totally break it as it auto reverts back to the backup copy & has a bios reset button at the back of the board sticking out the case.

Soldato
OP
Always go here to the official Gigabyte bios forums:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/
They have bios sometimes weeks before it goes up on the official site. I am on the same mobo & my bios version is F12 which supports the latest 32nm Intel CPU's as well as a load of memory timing & other small tweaks.

Good thing about gigabyte is that the bios has a dual backup so no way to ever totally break it as it auto reverts back to the backup copy & has a bios reset button at the back of the board sticking out the case.
F12 ?, when the offical bios on the gigabyte website is F5? thats 7 bios updates in front?

Associate
Can you flash the mobo with a usb pen on thease boards ? i fully intend to upgrade to F6 whe it's out since it might stop the start up boot off crap i get on every system powerup.

Associate
If my UD5 is running fine as is with F1, is there any point in updating the bios? I seem to get the feeling the potential risks outweigh the gains.

The GA site is pretty limited in info as to what benefits the new bios actually gives.

Back
Top Bottom