home security server

Associate
Hi guys , had a burglary a few years back the scumbags stole my guitars jewelery and zippo collection

ive always wanted too set up home cctv with motion capture software directly uploaded too my webserver , just wondering if anyone had any good advice as too what too use , probably going too get a decent webcam for the hall cupboard and disguise it somehow with a painting and also look at a wireless ethernet cam for my living room

also i plan on having the server in a locked cupboard, i would like too know about setting up wol features too remotely turn the machine on if i am going away too activate the system , quite paranoid about the pc fan failing as it could be a fire hazard

its a p4 2.8 im gonna be using its a server tower case ,has anyone heard of a system fan failing and causing the machine too go on fire ,

my freind has a plumbing company and fire systems company and im going too enquire about pricing that for ultimate safety(got 5 box of vinyls and would be lost without them )

thanks guys

Soldato
buddy...

QNAP Nas server -

1, buy QNAP Nas
2, Buy / Find Some HDD's
2a, Buy an IP Cam / s
3, open box
4, insert hdd/s
5, connect unit to LAN
6, power unit on
7, locate its IP
8, log onto unit via Web browser
9, navigate to Surveillance Station
10, Insert IP of IP Cam and away you go.

This will also allow you to log in from anywhere via the web interface, will act as an FTP server and do everything you will ever need for CCTV and Fileshare.

Fast, very cheap to run and small.

Associate
OP
hi guys ive got plenty of hard drives kicking around over 4tb in total :)

I was more after a software solution too start with as its less setup costs and since i already have the machine with a webcam should be able too get a software solution then add a network ip cam at a later date

the cupboard will be lockable but i would rather have software that is uploading images every time motion is detected and stored online on my private server Just incase the camers are noticed the door is forced open and the pc with the security is also taken ,

i have www.jakdj.com im in the process of building so can use my online storage from there too check if any idiots have ambushed my dj setup

my freind had his van broken into at my house last weekend and wanna step up security as theres too many toerags in this town

Soldato
I've been trying to sort out IP based CCTV and have had my eye on a qnap setup for some time. Just wondering if these qnap systems are limited to a certain number of camera's i.e. 2,4 etc depending on the model especially the 210 model in the above link?

Soldato
Cheers for that. I was asking because on the spec sheet it states 2-IP cameras. You say you have 9 connected? Are they IP cameras and if so what make/model are they?

Not sure why Qnap state the TS-210 supports only the 2 cameras and you have 9 running.

Last edited:
Associate
For home security , why not just buy a PVR and four cameras and have them running 247 ? I think there is to many things to go wrong with using a Pc as a CCTV system ,hard drive failure , system crashes to name 2 .
A PVR can be very small , runs on 12v power supply , captures to a 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive , can be set to capture when it senses movement or programed to capture at preset intervals and can be hidden anywhere around the house .
I suppose with a TV card in a PC you could upload the video for a server , but I dont see the point . Just hide 4 cameras and the unit in the house and forget it's there and let it do the job of protecting your property . In the event of a breakin you have the desired footage to show police .

Soldato
Main problem is running cables. My garage is seperate from the house and since no cables can be used, my only existing camera is my panasonic IP camera which cost nearly £400 and with it, I have it connected to a homeplug adapter which connects to my router in my house.

Most importantly, a NVR/NAS like the Qnap is as small as a PVR/DVR does exactly and even more than as the PVR/DVR and also with an NVR/NAS, you can also hide it anywhere in the house since you can use a homeplug to share the video from the cameras through your house electric wires.

This homeplug method may not be ideal for some folk but for me homeplugs are essential when cable runs are not possible.

Associate
Agree , those cables can be awkward . That's the reason I havn't got my setup working , cannot decide where to put the cameras and the cable runs .I have a very good wireless camera but I think it plays havock with wi-fi signals so , I havn't got that rigged up either .I think it's really important nowadays to have some sort of security feature around your home , infact some areas it's a necessity .

Associate
Off topic from the original question, but if you haven't got an alarm system then a professionally fitted one is a very effective deterrent.

CCTV is great for certain purposes, but capturing images of people that are already inside your home and may not be identifiable from images (assuming they aren't wearing balaclavas) isn't as good as them going somewhere else that doesn't have an alarm.

Soldato
An alarm is useless especially if you live in the countryside like me. When you hear an alarm go off, nobody bothers about it because they think it was set off by mistake. My biggest problem are the gypsies. They just walk into your yard and have a nosey and lift whatever will make them a few pound. They don't even bother to hide their identities with a balaclava. This is were cctv comes in.

Associate
An alarm is useless especially if you live in the countryside like me

Is that based on experience of the effectiveness of various forms of physical and electronic systems?

For the countryside you do need remote monitoring, and/or very high power sounders (painful/disorientating for intruders) or even smoke screen systems (fills property with artifical smoke).

Soldato
I have had gypsies walk in unmasked and steel tools etc out of my garage. If there is a very loud alarm, they just wear a pair of earmuffs. (i have seen that happen)

Its just that I need to catch them on camera. They still get off from the law but its always nice to see how they robbed me. lol

Associate
I have had gypsies walk in unmasked and steel tools etc out of my garage. If there is a very loud alarm, they just wear a pair of earmuffs. (i have seen that happen)

I would certainly ensure that physical protection is good enough to at least slow them down so give either a remotely monitored alarm or CCTV enough time for response/some good pictures.

If the garage cannot be securely locked at all times then security is indeed a problem and in that case CCTV can be the only answer. In my case I have good physical and electronic security (alarm & CCTV), but as you rightly say - catching intruders and them getting an adequate penalty are two diferent things. :(

The best we can all do is to make it hard work to get in and ensure the risks of getting caught are as great as possible.

Back
Top Bottom