Man receives first full-face transplant

Nix

Nix

Soldato
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18816-briefing-the-man-whos-got-a-whole-new-face.html

Briefing: The man who's got a whole new face

18:16 23 April 2010 by Andy Coghlan

Yesterday it emerged that a farmer in his thirties in Spain who accidentally shot away the lower part of his face has become the first person to receive an entire face transplant. According to yesterday's press conference, he is already recovering well. Previously, he could only breathe and eat through tubes. Now he is expected to begin relearning how to talk, eat, smile and laugh within weeks.

How was the patient's face repaired?

In a 24-hour operation, a team of 30 surgeons at the Vall d'Hebron University Hospital in Barcelona, Spain, led by surgeon Joan Pere Barret, started by removing what remained of the man's face – skin, veins and arteries – leaving just his eyeballs and tongue.

The team then replaced this with practically the entire face of a dead donor, including all the skin, muscles and nerves, the entire nose, the lips, palate, all the teeth, the cheekbones and the entire lower jaw. These were grafted by microsurgery to what remained of the patient's own face, and the blood supply reconnected. In the final part of the operation, the surgeons transplanted bones and connecting nerves to the patient's own face.

In what ways does this break new ground?

Since Isabelle Dinoire received the world's first face transplant in France in 2005, the procedure has been repeated successfully in 10 others.

But this latest is the most extensive facial graft yet, says Maria Siemionow of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio. She came close to replacing an entire face in December 2008, but says that the Spanish team is the first to transplant both the upper and lower jaw, and both eyelids. Her team, which repaired the face of a woman who'd been shot by her husband, restored upper but not lower jawbones, and lower eyelids.

Is a whole face in any way preferable to replacing just sections because then it works as a whole?

No – and it would be risky to take away surviving parts of the face unnecessarily, in case the transplant doesn't take, says Siemionow. As a result, she says it's unlikely that a full transplant will be performed except when absolutely necessary.

How are the other patients doing?

One of those treated in France died last year, but from a bacterial infection not related to the transplant. Dinoire is still reportedly doing well five years on, despite two rejection episodes in which the immune system started to attack her transplant. Heavier immunosuppressive drugs were needed to deal with these.

Siemionow says her own patient is progressing remarkably well some 18 months after her operation. "We included very extensive rehabilitation, physical and speech therapy in her recovery programme," says Siemionow. "She's now smiling, can say all her vowels and has such normal sensation in her face that she can feel a kiss."

What are the benefits of a face transplant rather than conventional repair with skin grafts?

The major benefit is that the transplant is much more than simply a mask to cover a deformity. Because donor nerves and blood vessels plug the transplant into the patient's own tissue, the graft comes to life fully, providing function as well as cosmetic improvement.

It means people can smile, talk and eat because they can move their new lips. Likewise, they can make facial expressions and open and close their eyes. "It's not just technical coverage of missing parts, but functional restoration," says Siemionow.

What hurdles remain to be overcome now?

Siemionow says milder immunosuppression regimes are required to stop donated tissue being rejected. Because current regimes dampen the immune system, it puts recipients at abnormally high risk of infection and cancer. Siemionow says she's hoping within months to test a novel, mild regime that is based on antibodies, initially with people having kidney transplants.

Wow. Not something I'd be happy to donate to realistically, but an incredible achievement nontheless. I imagine it would be very strange for those who knew the deceased should they come across this man.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
OP
[Cas];16423960 said:
I'd be happy to donate for something like that if I was dead. Much more use to them than it is me.

Each to their own. My face is part of my identity though (as philosophical as we could get on this), or at least my identity to others. Agreed that when you're dead it's not much use to you, but I wouldn't exactly want my particular 'avatar' (if you will) associated completely with another individual. Bits and pieces, sure. The whole thing though? I'm a little uncomfortable with that.

Soldato
In fairness it's often the medical engineers and physicists who come out with this stuff. But it's the surgeons who get all the credit! :)

And the drug companies for giving us such powerful and specific drugs that make this possible. The surgery is pointless with out the ability to dampen the immune system.

Soldato
Each to their own. My face is part of my identity though (as philosophical as we could get on this), or at least my identity to others. Agreed that when you're dead it's not much use to you, but I wouldn't exactly want my particular 'avatar' (if you will) associated completely with another individual. Bits and pieces, sure. The whole thing though? I'm a little uncomfortable with that.

It would be interesting to see how similar the patient looks compared to the donor.

I would have thought that as the bone structure of the face would be different, the recipient should look significantly different.

Back
Top Bottom