• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE OFFICIAL GTX480/470 END USER REVIEW THREAD***

Associate
I got hold of my Asus GTX 480 on Wednesday, here is my thoughts on it. :)

Overscan - One thing I have always thought that ATI did better was overscan. My tv has about 4% overscan locked on which I cant remove so I need to use the overscan features on my card. This is easy with the ATI catalyst as its just one slider. With nvidia I have two sliders and its a bit more of a pain as the silders arent locked which is a stupid idea really.

Now with ATI when I game the overscan is removed and I just loose 4% off the edge of the screen. The game still plays in 1920x1080, the same happens with movies. Not with the nvidia card. I get a weird res showing which at the moment is 1832x1022. This appears on my desktop and in gaming. I am not too happy about this really but at least everything is on the screen. I havent tried any movies to see if this weird res is applied.

:)

Have you tried all the different scaling options?

Associate

Overscan
- One thing I have always thought that ATI did better was overscan. My tv has about 4% overscan locked on which I cant remove so I need to use the overscan features on my card. This is easy with the ATI catalyst as its just one slider. With nvidia I have two sliders and its a bit more of a pain as the silders arent locked which is a stupid idea really.

Now with ATI when I game the overscan is removed and I just loose 4% off the edge of the screen. The game still plays in 1920x1080, the same happens with movies. Not with the nvidia card. I get a weird res showing which at the moment is 1832x1022. This appears on my desktop and in gaming. I am not too happy about this really but at least everything is on the screen. I havent tried any movies to see if this weird res is applied.

Hi Razor

Glad you've got your card! I agree with your comments on the temps. Using MSI Afterburner I've set a custom fan curve and find it deals with the temps and noise really well.

As far as the above issue goes, how are you connecting to your monitor? Are you using DVI or HDMI? On my U2410 I have no scaling problems but on my laptop with it connected to my TV via HDMI, if i set the output signal to "HDTV" and not PC then I have scaling issues. These can be fixed with the sliders, which i must say I've not had a problem with.

Try making sure your signal is set to PC and not HDTV.

Soldato
woot my block turned up this morning :D EK are the biz niz, 3 days from Slovenia, what a result.

only thing is i am knackered from work and i am wondering if i want to fit this block now?

mmmmmmmm......

You are wise to be cautious being knackered, first you must get drunk also - then fit it

Associate
Hi Razor

Glad you've got your card! I agree with your comments on the temps. Using MSI Afterburner I've set a custom fan curve and find it deals with the temps and noise really well.

As far as the above issue goes, how are you connecting to your monitor? Are you using DVI or HDMI? On my U2410 I have no scaling problems but on my laptop with it connected to my TV via HDMI, if i set the output signal to "HDTV" and not PC then I have scaling issues. These can be fixed with the sliders, which i must say I've not had a problem with.

Same on my Samsung TV. Rename the socket to PC and it changes it to 1:1, odd but it works.

Associate
re:

OCUK, in good faith, pass on the dates given to them by the suppliers, who pass on the dates given to them by the manufacturers. it's not like there the only shop being forced to revise there ETA's as stock constraints dictate. everybody is having to shift there dates.

I just cannot understand why this is the case:confused:
The ETA has now moved to the 30th :eek:
I mean when I went to purchase I think the ETA was the 6th I just dont think its right they should really post ETA`s like this at all:mad:
I can understand if the cards are moderately overdue but this ETA business seem to be going on indefinitely :confused:

Would be nice is overclockers could email some kind of explanation why this is happening.

Does anyone know if any asus cards have been received and been shipped?

Cheers
|2es-mrix

Associate
Same on my Samsung TV. Rename the socket to PC and it changes it to 1:1, odd but it works.

I have a Samsung TV also. On mine only 1 hdmi socket is usable a a DVI input offering true pc resolutions. The other 2 will only allow hdtv res to be used. Was a real pain until I got an hdmi switcher, now I can have my PC and laptop both connected to the "DVI" input and switch between them. Very handy!

Associate
Ok, redid my TIMM with MX-3. The surface of the heatpipes is shocking, absolutely shocking haha. needs a good lap :)

OK so im now running Kombuster, with voltage of 1050 and 800mhz core and it has leveled off at 93c, 79% fan. not toobad, no louder than my 280 was. Previously I was getting about 93% fan and the same temp. So I got it quieter which is what i wanted.. TBH I could probably have done a better job but its still an improvement. If i was running at stock It would probably be very quiet now.

EDIT: OK stone giant is a different story, gpu hit 94c so fan went up to 93%. Im gonna clock down to 750mhz and 1025voltage. that has kept the gpu at like 86c and fan topped 80. bring on the omni...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some benchmarks for you all.

All tests are @ 1920x1200 with 4xAA and 16xAF, all advanced settings set to max unless stated, OS Win 7 HP x64.

I5 is clocked to 3.6GHz (18x200bclk) 4GB of memory @ 1600MHz 8-8-8-26, will re-run with cpu @ 4GHz tomorrow if I get time.
Video cards are at stock clocks....for the time being!

Just cause 2, Dark Tower:

JustCause22010-04-1700-20-14-30.jpg

Just cause 2, Desert sunrise:

JustCause22010-04-1700-22-53-52.jpg

Just cause 2, Concrete Jungle:

JustCause22010-04-1700-24-48-97.jpg

hmm not so good. My 5850 gets the following:

Dark Tower 51.57
Sunrise 69.20
Concrete Jungle 38.49

I guess those extra cuda water effects have a massive penalty to framerates?

Soldato
I guess those extra cuda water effects have a massive penalty to framerates?

Indeed they do, however if you continue reading through the thread you'll see far better results with these settings turned off

EDIT: beaten to it :p that'll teach me to post whilst watching the telly.

Last edited:

bee

bee

Associate
absolutely loving the card, sorted the fan profiles and it has never gone above 77c in any game at 80% fan @75c node in msi afterburner, cant hear it at all with in ear headphones :)

been playing a lot of just cause 2, max settings, except 2xaa and gpu water off and of course 3D vision. took some, i thought stunning screens only the wine made me take them with fraps so they're 2D and not 3D :( and damn the game looks nowhere near as good without it

good to be able to finally play crysis at dx10, all very high and 8xaa aswell at solid framerates, gonna be playing through those 2 again for sure

Soldato
Hi Razor

Hi KWJaym,

I have my gtx 480 connected to a 70" 1080p SXRD display. The display has an overscan of about 4% which unfortunately cant be switched off. I am using a dvi (480) to hdmi (TV) connector. I have played a few more games now and the 1080p selection is present which is good, the only difference I can see is that nvidia will give me the option of running 1080p or my underscanned res. Where as ATI doesnt, it just gives me 1080p as an option. Nvidia just seem to handle overscan slightly different to ATI which I remember from when I had an 8800gtx connected to this display. :)

Whats the score with the memory overclock on these cards? What sort of overclock can you get with them? I have read that they dont like being pushed too far.

Overall I am happy with the 480gtx. Games seem smoother, no more vsync issues, stutter, flashing textures which were present with my ati card on some games and the 480 seems to love AA.

:)

Soldato
well i got my GTX470 block from EK, seems the support plate was shorting the card out, i installed the block three times, and still had hassle with strange picture artifacts.....anyways left the GPU support thing off in the end, pointless bit of kit anyway,

now on to some temps, had the big giant guy running for 10 mins, seems temps are fine...who said fermi was hot ;)

94262090.jpg

Back
Top Bottom