Baptism of fire...was it worth it...you bet!

Soldato
With a whole lot of help, advice and a few traffic warnings have managed to get my allmost perfect setup.

Machine 1

Corsair Obsidian 800d case
Gigabyte x58a-ud3r mobo
core i7 930 cpu
2 x gtx 480 aka the brevilles
6gb corair xms ram
Thermaltake toughpower 1500 watt psu
h50 cpu water cooler
sharkoon 2000 fans
windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
1tb wd green hd
8tb storage

Currently only running cpu seti tasks but knew i would be buying them eventually so at least the hardwares in place setup and ready for d day, you can argue its a waste of money just sat doing nothing but i can do toast on them in 2 mins 20 sec....wholemeal is a lot nippier at 1 min 44sec.
The biggest concern was the cooling so have set the top 3 sharkoon 200rpms to intake and the push pull on the h50 is intake too.
Am running the machine at stock speeds and its been ok at around 56 degrees....switch on the overclock 4.2g and its around the 84 degree mark.
The 480s when gaming have topped around 89 a piece and idle around 52.
The noise while noticeable is nowhere near as bad as the near hysteria portrayed by some.

Machine 2

Mirror image of machine 1 with the exception of the graphics cards
3 x gtx 285 in sli

Machine 3

Intel qc 6600
8gb ddr2 ram
1 x gtx 260
gigabyte ep45-ud3lr
stock cooler
Antec 300 case
windows 7 ult 64 bit

This was a transplant from part of a pre built system and the bios was locked so i thought my first overclocking experiment needed a new mobo and not so expensive components in case they all spontaneously combust once i start tinkering.

My first priority is seti, so looking at the setups do you think there is anything i can do to increase output. Naturally the brevilles will come into their own one day soon not so fusssed about them.
I do a lot of reading, trouble i have is digesting it all so i think i'm best to just think "output". I just dont get how some people can have a q6600 and a 260 or the like and get 13500 av....patience TBag patience.
Also curious about the 2 i7 on overclock 4.2 settings theyre stable but will they neccessarily increase my output?
As allways any input greatfully received as a relative newcomer i can accept criticism as long as it helps towards the end goal.
The machine with 2 x 480 is set as work location for seperate preferences of cpu tasks only....if there is anything else i can be doing with them in the meantime...besides toasting....let me know, i see theyre having some success with a folding app to utilise the fermi but it's a ways from being finalized...give me a shout if you come across anything to utilize the gpu's untill seti comes to fruition.
Thank ye all kindly :D

Associate
Alright i give up. Packs his ball away and slinks off in shame.

Nice setups. Just wish i had some more spare cash ofter the recent rig construction

You'll need to give it a good while for your average credit to even out mine is still climbing a week+ after starting it up but with those rigs you should be near if not at the top of the average list soon

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Alright i give up. Packs his ball away and slinks off in shame.

Nice setups. Just wish i had some more spare cash ofter the recent rig construction

You'll need to give it a good while for your average credit to even out mine is still climbing a week+ after starting it up but with those rigs you should be near if not at the top of the average list soon

Dont you dare do a runner...it definately looks like the time is on the rise looking at some of halz charts, its no good having one big hitter and the rest of us chasing we need as much competition as we can...and if you come across any spare 295's give TBag the nod :D

Jebus wept :eek:

Dont you go bringing religion into it...if there was a god he wouldnt have let me run out of petrol and ciggies on the m62 now would he...insite of a b....service station too:D Ah well only have to wait untill june now and i can get into mm building a nice stash of goods ready...ahemm...hint hint...3d dual monitor and glasses setup...cough...splutter :D

Soldato
OP
Lol 3D is the way i want be going soon it's the future :D

When your ready to embrace the future give me a shout...i may be able to help with your transition :D

I thought the future was garlic bread :confused:

Nice setups TBag, you'll soon be whizzing up the charts with that little lot!

One day at a time...now that you mention garlic bread mmmm....am just about over this week allmost caught up on sleep.....apparently a traffic cam caught me on tuesday...this is there evidence

Man of Honour
How quick does it manage granary? Do the crumbs cause problems? :D

Sadly my days of being a high hitter are over - can't justify big hardware upgrades anymore (though I'm still running a P4 in my main PC so that's got to go sooner or later :))

Soldato
OP
Thats my next step...something with whole grain...the 800d case has a filter screen at the bottom which i assume will catch the grains and crumbs much the same way as a tray might catch parrot droppings in a cage :D
The way i see this crunching is yup its addictive to a point, a high hitters output might drop but they dont let go of the bug.
Berserker i do understand what your saying about not being able to justify a hardware upgrade, a month ago i said the same thing and something just went pop and i thought oh b....it your a long time dead and if you want something bad enough you'll make it happen.
Plus its the people that make it, the help the input and the dedication of some people is inspiring. Theres a lot more team spirit in this forum than i have found in any other organization i've ever been involved in.
I'm finding it a bit challenging sometimes but it beats letting middle age and conformity gain the upper hand, for the outlay although its been a pricey one for the returns gained in company, chat maybe friendships and the like its been worth every penny.
Where else could you jam a car into your window at 3 in the morning and declare your intention to use it as a cooling system (please see darn hot weather thread).
Oh and Mr Halz sah that banana you left in outer space for me xx days ago was a wisted trip, some russian cosmanaut got there first!

Associate
Well, on a serious note......

Make sure (if your running Windows 7) to have a vga dummy in every card that does NOT have a monitor attached to it (regrardless of sli). Then extend the desktop to each of the dummy monitors.

When you restart seti it will tell you how many graphics cards are being used.....in the case of 295's it will show as two per card.

So from your set-up - you should be seeing:

Rig 1 - 8 cpu tasks
Rig 2 - 8 cpu tasks & 3 gpu tasks
Rig 3 - 4 cpu tasks & 1 gpu task

Which should produce something close to Reavers RAC (and hopefully mine when the new cards arrive).

Unfortunatly, Windows 7 is the bottleneck at the moment - especially on gpu's.

Don't forget the Dummy VGA Plugs

Soldato
OP
HI loudbob congrats on your very recent purchases, thanks for the help with the dummy plug thingummybobs.
Yeah its finding them for now i literally have to connect 3 monitors and then remember not to restart the machine but all 3 monitors are in everyday use so its just a matter of a quick 2 minute mess about with cables.
Forgive my tardiness this week i lost everything on a few hds including my outlook backup, when you have the time please drop me an email :D:D

Soldato
OP
yay...do you feel the pull of the force luke...errr sorry i mean Biffa, it'd be great to see you in action here again and glad to see your making progress with wee beastie....bet your chuffed to bits lad:D

Soldato
I salute everyone on here on their upgrades and help to the team...
Will be posting too once I have a case and can start my build. Its not going to be in time to stop Grimgoth though Im hoping that I can hold off Reaver's charge up the charts.

It will be interesting to see if these increases in output stay once the dreaded leccy bills arrive, I jumped from £50 every 10 weeks or so to £55-60 a month :mad:

Back
Top Bottom