• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 260 x2 in sli very hot. HELP!!!!

Associate
Hey guys I have 2 GTX 260's, and it was only last week when i played left 4 dead that it was really jumpy. I didnt know what it was so i checked the temp. of my cpu and gpu's and found that at idle, they were running at 75C. Now is this gpu's dying, or nvidias awful drivers or what. Please help.

Man of Honour
Which drivers are you using?

I have 2x GTX260 in SLI without a huge amount of space between them and they idle in the lower 40s.

Associate
OP
im using 197.45
how about yourself?
and it wasnt usually a problem and like yourself there isnt much space between them, what should i do?!

Man of Honour
197.45 here too, fire up GPU-z to make sure the fan is running properly on both. Make sure the GPUs are as free of dust, etc. as possible.

Soldato
dust can make a huge inpact. It acts as an insulator, gets into fan bearings, blocks dusts filters and once one bit sticks it all gathers on it.

I de dust once a month with my trusty brush, hoover, and compressed air cans.

Associate
There is nothing wrong with the case, but make sure everything is clean. Once all the dust have been cleared out, then check temperatures again.

If temps still high to your liking, I would recommend downloading riva tuner and spending 10-15 mins to create a more aggressive fan settings.

I found this link in another thread, shows you how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXr6IIj1sLY

Caporegime
Dust can make a mammoth difference. A good but careful clean and you could be looking at knocking off at least 20% of the temps. I cleaned mine out about a month ago and already I am starting to notice (granted maybe due to the improving weather) a slight increase in temps.

It doesn't take long for dust to gather.

Associate
I try to keep an "overpressure" in my cases then dust doesn't really have to time to settle onto the components. I've done this for about 6-7years now, and when I had my PC opened yesterday for changing GFX cards it hadn't been opened for 1year, and there was minimal dust, and temps haven't changed at all.

Associate
OP
I just cleaned all the dust and its still running at 73 degress, should i use riva turner to cool it down.
Im now thinking that maybe i should seel these 2 and get one big one like a 295 or a ati card. what do people think? If i could get the temp down i would prefer that

Associate
I remember dust killing a graphics card I had. I was playing BF2 and kept noticing how a wall of sand bags looked fluid like water I thought it was a glitch and paid no notice then a week later the card died .when I examined the card the fan was clogged up so much that it couldnt rotate.

It was a BFG 7800GTX. I loved that card it was the first decent one I ever had.

Associate
hmmmm i could use riva turner to get the temp down but will that cause the fans to go on all the time

The youtube video I linked to will show you how to set fan speeds to come up when the GPU hits a certain temp range , so only when then graphics card temps gets high the fan will go up!

Please do try it :)

Associate
Is there a space between them? They will obviously convect heat straight onto each other if there is no gap for air to circulate round them. They run hot, I had my X-FI between mine and had to put a 120mm fan pointing directly at it as it got so hot I was getting sound errors. What are the load temps, I found them to be quite quiet cards so you could try upping the fan speed

Associate
i changed my fan settings to kick in more aggressive at lower temps on my 260 (inno3d).
you can use EVGA precision to up the fans.

i eventually flashed the bios with new settings (inc oc)

also added a BIg intake to provide lots of cool air for the gpu to suck in.
dust sucks! i also found i had to keep the temp below 69c.

Back
Top Bottom