• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE OFFICIAL GTX480/470 END USER REVIEW THREAD***

Associate
Is it possible to mod one of these to fit a GPU water block:
WC-002-CS_400.jpg

you must be joking right dave?

Permabanned
well i got my GTX470 block from EK, seems the support plate was shorting the card out, i installed the block three times, and still had hassle with strange picture artifacts.....anyways left the GPU support thing off in the end, pointless bit of kit anyway,

now on to some temps, had the big giant guy running for 10 mins, seems temps are fine...who said fermi was hot ;)
time to overclock the hell out of your gtx470

Soldato
hmm not so good. My 5850 gets the following:

Dark Tower 51.57
Sunrise 69.20
Concrete Jungle 38.49
There are 1680 x 1050 not 1920 x 1200 which I ran at ;)

As Raven requested we run like for like comparisons, we decided to run some benchmarks@ 1680x1050, hence those results.

I think it's a great idea to run several benchmarks at different resolutions, I'm all for it, the more information we can give people the better :)

Anyway here are my results @ 1920x1200

Dark tower

JustCause22010-04-2322-55-56-92.jpg

Desert Sunrise

JustCause22010-04-2322-58-19-49.jpg

Concrete Jungle

JustCause22010-04-2323-00-37-43.jpg

Associate
Ok, redid my TIMM with MX-3. The surface of the heatpipes is shocking, absolutely shocking haha. needs a good lap :)

OK so im now running Kombuster, with voltage of 1050 and 800mhz core and it has leveled off at 93c, 79% fan. not toobad, no louder than my 280 was. Previously I was getting about 93% fan and the same temp. So I got it quieter which is what i wanted.. TBH I could probably have done a better job but its still an improvement. If i was running at stock It would probably be very quiet now.

EDIT: OK stone giant is a different story, gpu hit 94c so fan went up to 93%. Im gonna clock down to 750mhz and 1025voltage. that has kept the gpu at like 86c and fan topped 80. bring on the omni...

I'm pleased you're seeing some results. I can't, however, say the same. AS5 doesn't seem to have done a great deal either. It will still be in it's curing cycle but given the state of the original TIMM I would have expected to see a lot more than, well, virtually no difference at all!

Generally my PCB temp in Windows idles at around 52deg, GPU @ 63deg fan @ 44%

Kombuster: GPU ramps to 94deg which is 1deg cooler than with stock TIMM. The fan kicks up to 92%. The GPU drops to around 91deg and then creeps back up to around 95deg. My PCB ramps up to around 70deg. The card stays at these temps running 92% fan constantly (this is a test I ran just now at least).

In games e.g. Assassins Creed 2. GPU 83deg, PCB 65deg, fan between 80% & 92% (usually the latter).

Unlike you I'm not overclocking at all.

It seems fairly obvious to me (aside from not getting much improvement for replacing the TIMM) that my biggest issue is poor air flow. Unfortunately my front fan blows air past 4 pretty warm HDDs so the airflow is blocked to a degree AND warmed up! This is pretty obvious since removing the case side drops my temps considerably! I'm considering a HAF or something similar, possibly accompanied by a 980X :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm pleased you're seeing some results. I can't, however, say the same. AS5 doesn't seem to have done a great deal either. It will still be in it's curing cycle but given the state of the original TIMM I would have expected to see a lot more than, well, virtually no difference at all! Snip

Seriously guys, I really don't know why you're ripping apart a £450 video card to apply different thermal compound :eek::confused:

The minimal difference you're going to get is just not worth voiding the warranty for.

If your planning to watercool then fair enough, but I'm finding mine rarely get's to 90° in a well ventilated TJ09.

Associate
The only thing that makes my overclocked 480 (750core/1000mem 1.00v) hit over 90c is furmark. As I do not play furmark all day I am happy enough with that. (well until OCUK finally get stock and send my second card and my watercooling adventure begins)

Interestingly the stock voltage on my card is 0.985v. Reading around it seems other cards have different default voltages.

Soldato
Some Just Cause Desert Sunrise benchmarks with and without Nvidia Cuda specific eye candy. All settings on highest. :)

8 x CSAA

justcause2game201004232.jpg

Cuda eye candy on

16 x Q CSAA

justcause2game201004232i.jpg

Cuda eye candy on

32 x CSAA

Cuda eye candy on

The water effects with the cuda eyecandy on look very nice. The sparks also look different on explosions with cuda on.

Farcry 2 with ultra settings and 8XAA, DX10 1920x1080

farcry2atstock.jpg

GTA IV Benchmark run on full settings

Statistics
Average FPS: 65.64
Duration: 37.26 sec
CPU Usage: 29%
System memory usage: 54%
Video memory usage: 84%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Very High
Reflection Resolution: Very High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: Very High
View Distance: 100
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480
Video Driver version: 197.55
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Auzentech X-Fi Forte)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Associate
Well I have my two eVGA GTX 470 SC card running with the standard auto-fan settings and the cards idle at round 60*c at 40% fanspeed. At load they get around 85*c also controlled by the auto fan speed.
I'm using Evga precisions to see the readings.
Reminds me of the GF6800GT days... same temps.

Associate
Poor cooling, see my earlier post.

When you say idle temp. is than when you do absolutely nothing on your PC and where the card clocks down tol like 40/50mhz on the core or is it where you just do your average internet surfing/ms office where it settles around 400mhz gpu ?. For zero use (not using the PC), my cards go at the 50mhz speeds and are around 55*c, and that is in a quite well ventilated case (CM690 6x120mm fans, 1x140mm, 2x80mm). Room temp around 26*c. :/

Edit. Just read this in the release nots for the 197.41 driver.

GPU Runs at a High Performance Level (full clock speeds) in
Multi-display Modes

This is a hardware limitation and not a software bug. Even when no 3D programs are
running, the driver will operate the GPU at a high performance level in order to
efficiently drive multiple displays. In the case of SLI or multi‐GPU PCs, the second GPU
will always operate with full clock speeds
; again, in order to efficiently drive multiple
displays. Today, all hardware from all GPU vendors have this limitation.

I guess that's my "issue".

Last edited:
Associate
When you say idle temp. is than when you do absolutely nothing on your PC and where the card clocks down tol like 40/50mhz on the core or is it where you just do your average internet surfing/ms office where it settles around 400mhz gpu ?. For zero use (not using the PC), my cards go at the 50mhz speeds and are around 55*c, and that is in a quite well ventilated case (CM690 6x120mm fans, 1x140mm, 2x80mm). Room temp around 26*c. :/

Edit. Just read this in the release nots for the 197.41 driver.

GPU Runs at a High Performance Level (full clock speeds) in
Multi-display Modes

This is a hardware limitation and not a software bug. Even when no 3D programs are
running, the driver will operate the GPU at a high performance level in order to
efficiently drive multiple displays. In the case of SLI or multi‐GPU PCs, the second GPU
will always operate with full clock speeds
; again, in order to efficiently drive multiple
displays. Today, all hardware from all GPU vendors have this limitation.

I guess that's my "issue".

I think it's the memory clock that's causing the heat build up. I was encoding some videos the other night and spotted my cards clocks had increased to 400/800 but the mem clock had only increased to 324 and there was minimal load on the gpu. Temps were much lower. When i switched on my 2nd screen the only change was the memory bumped up to 1834 and temps starting to rise.

Back
Top Bottom