• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

LCD/Graphics Glitch

Associate
Hello there lovely people of the OcUK forums. I'd really appreciate some help identifying a problem.

Recently little graphical glitches have made a nest on my PC, I'm not entirely sure when they first started showing up, possibly sometime in the last few months.

(It looks like the first pictures are void. As they are print screens they only appear on my monitor)

74447825.gif

Its most apparent when moving windows around as seen above. If you can't see white shadows to the right of firefox... .. great..

Updated picture below, taken with my camera:

dsc02634.gif

It's harder to tell with the low quality, but there are 'blurry white shadows' to the right of firefox.

Then another example..

65431825.gif

Updated picture:
dsc02633.png

Same story with above, see the white blurry area?

I took a picture with my mobile for this one as a printscreen failed to capture it:

240420101625.gif

For the last one, the little blurry line that cuts through "Colour Range" and "Reselect", I thought it might be the monitor but the line isn't always there with other windows in the same area.

I'm lead to believe my graphics card is on the way out. It's a 3870x2 I got from ebay for £80 a few years ago because the fan was rubbing against the housing creating a wonderful noise. I mauled the housing with pliers to stop the grinding and it had worked great since, I've hit it with LOTS of gaming over the years and it tends to reach around 80-90c during load.
Currently sitting at core1: 53c core2:64c 'idle' in windows.

I think it happens in gaming but definitely not as obvious as in windows due to colours and everything moving, a lot.

Currently running 10.4 preview catalysts for BF:BC2 loading time improvements.

If my card is on the way out I guess a new 5770 is in order.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Legend!

Thanks for that. Fixed the problem.
I had a mess around with the cable before but didn't have any spare DVI adapters so I didn't mess around with that part of it. I unplugged it all and used the other DVI socket on the card and volia, bye bye glitches.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom