Long term effects of mobile phone technology

Gob

Gob

Associate
Today I was sent a letter from my mobile phone provider (O2) inviting me to participate in a health study examaning the effects of prolonged usage of mobile phones on people. The study itself focuses on the measurable effects it has over years i.e. 10-20 years, so I would be called back yearly or multiple times a year (the exact details weren't stated as it was only a couple of pages and a leaflet in size).

Anyone else been asked to volunteer for this?

I must admit it does worry me how the providers are only now creating a study of this kind after years of them stating how safe mobile phone technology is.

On the upside I will be compensated for my time, i'll be entered into a prize draw with the possibility of winning a £25 gift voucher[sarcasm]... Yay![/sarcasm]

Man of Honour
I got 2 of these today, one "from" O2 and the other more plainly showing some university or other (can't remember what as I immediatly binned them both when I realised it was a survey) I think the second one was from my other provider (vodafone) but less prominently displaying the phone company's name.

EDIT: Its actually for imperial college london. I have the same thing from O2 and vodafone.

Last edited:
Soldato
cellularphoneeffects183.jpg

Soldato
Vaguely related, I can't believe the supposed call timer on my phone. I've had it a few years admittedly but my calls tend to be a few seconds and very infrequent, by far mostly use text. How on earth have I spent 8hours 24minutes on it!?

Soldato
Vaguely related, I can't believe the supposed call timer on my phone. I've had it a few years admittedly but my calls tend to be a few seconds and very infrequent, by far mostly use text. How on earth have I spent 8hours 24minutes on it!?

Got to agree with Paradigm here, that's very minimal usage, I won't work out what it comes out to per day, but I'm sure it's a tiny amount. I'm sure I could rack up that amount of time in an average week.

Soldato
Trust me, I was shocked! All I ever remember is a few calls along the lines of "I'll be there soon" or "I'm there", I am extremely breif as I am still on pay as you go! 3hours 9minutes of it is outgoing too! I've not made any long calls ever on my own credit, a minute at most :D

Associate
My head always feels hot after a mobile call of any length along with a mild migraine, so I've never become a fan of the things. Because of this and until research is completed and published I refuse to use my mobile for more than a minute or two if I can possibly avoid it.

It helps that I have a fixed line for work and only call my wife on the mobile. She is fixated on mobile costs so our calls tend to be pretty quick - no contracts for us and no migraines!

Caporegime
Fortunately for me, 9/10 calls are made through the bluetooth kit in the car. Still, I'm looking more like 8rs a week.

Not fussed about the cost either, as work pay for my personal calls as well as business ones.

Soldato
Trust me, I was shocked! All I ever remember is a few calls along the lines of "I'll be there soon" or "I'm there", I am extremely breif as I am still on pay as you go! 3hours 9minutes of it is outgoing too! I've not made any long calls ever on my own credit, a minute at most :D

Don't forget most pay as you go will charge you not per second but per minute, rounded UP to the nearest minute. You can talk for a whole minute for the same price as a few seconds.
(I think)

Soldato

A few years?!!

I've had my phone for a few months and my total call time is about 8 hours!

Back
Top Bottom