Why the iPhone is better than the desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gangster
Associate
jkeej4.jpg

2m41t14.jpg

After only around 6 or 7 months from my last Android encounter (HTC Hero) I decided to give it another try.

Last year I bought the HTC Hero to compare with my iPhone to see what all the hype was about. It only took me less than a day to realise the Hero was basically a piece of **** compared to my iPhone 3GS.

A few months on and with all the hype of the Desire, I decided to buy it and this time give it more time, (at lease a week).

Here are the things I like about the Desire:

+ high resolution
+ nice screen
+ nice design
+ optical trackball

Well I tried to give it a week but that didn't happen, here is why...

- media player
In one word, rubbish. The media player is slow, clunky and unintuitive compared to iphone.
- internet browser
This one was a suprise, the Desire comes with flash support but that was the only thing I liked about it. Browsing on the desire is horrible, slow and unresponsive. Scrolling is not as smooth as the iphone.
Here are load times on my wifi network, all cache cleared.
(engadget)
iPhone opera browser: 2 seconds
iPhone safari browser: 3 seconds
htc desire: 9 seconds
- camera/video quality
Desire has more megapixels but quality is crap
- android market
where are all the good apps?
well itunes is just better. no need to discuss that
- gps
google maps on htc desire is not accurate. iphone was 2 streets out but desire was a country mile off
- phone lags unless powered on and off everyday

Nearly a year since iphone came out and it is still the best phone. The new iphone is coming out soon and there is nothing out there that comes close. Really disappointed with what all phone manufacturers could come up with. Looks like my next phone will be an iphone.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
i have zero of those issues with my desire.

my phone kicks ass for load times against my friends 3gs in internet browser.
my media player does not lag at all
gps is spot on - sounds like you didnt have it turned on and you were using location by triangulation
app store is smaller, but its growing at the fastest rate compared to all.
my camera quality is far superior to any iphone pics

Associate
Try cubed (^3 is the name, but how you type superscript into the market I have no idea) as a replacement for the stock Music app, even the HTC app is much better than the standard app. Scan this QR code below for the link to the market

cubed-qr.png

If the Desire is miles off in google maps then its using the cell network, turn the GPS on ;) :p and then give it a sec to find the satellites, I've used the free Google Navigation to great effect on road trips up North.

I do question most of your "facts", the Desire has flash lite for example, not full flash, you can find proof if you have a look at your installed applications, full flash is still a couple of months away :(

I realise I sound like a fanboy, I know, but I do like the iPhone, its a very well executed product, but the specs are lagging behind now. IMO the iPhone 4 needs the iPads A4 chip and 512MB of RAM along with all the Gizmodo confirmed other changes to be brought kicking and screaming into 2010 :)

Associate
Yeah, itunes is great, tell to that to my friends who've plugged in their iphones to itunes, accidentally left 'auto update' on, and itunes wiped their phones.

Got a desire and i've had none of the issues you've stated above.

P.s, actually try turning the Gps on....

Gangster
Associate
OP
HTC Desire - 4/10
iPhone 3GS - 8/10
iPhone 4G - 9/10 possibly 10/10

Will be shifting the piece of junk the Desire is on the bay. £200 BIN, keep an eye out for it.

Soldato
lol your gps comment is a load of rubish. even amongst the other rubbish. two streets away ? google maps on my x10 pinpoints me to which corner of the garden im stood in. it did on my satio too. and my 6220 come to think of it

theres 101 youtube videos showing the snapdragon phones loading sites quicker than 3gs.

itunes good ? i use a boomin snow leopard macbook and its still a load of rubbish !

the camera comment is rubbish too. its not amazing but its better than the iphone one and atleast it has a flash.

so that leaves us with your + comments... seems like you kept the wrong phone :p

the 3gs doesnt even compete. the new iphone will do though. long overdue a screen res upgrade. even when the 3gs came out it was behind in that

also ''unintuitive media player'' big word...

Last edited:
Associate
Typical fan boy, will stab their eyes with forks to avoid seeing anything that might be better than their apple product.

Both the iphone and Desire are a great bit of kit, your finding issues where there are none. But your entitled to your opinion :)

Caporegime
OP is nothing more than an apple fanboi lol....

Iphone is good at what it does ie not a lot...just lol at the comment about pic quality of the iphone is better than the Desire...hell that statement alone makes the OP's post ignore worthy...even the most hardcore of iphone lovers will say the iphone camera just sucks badly...unless you have the right lighting conditions that is;)....and at least the Desire has a flash whereas the iphone hasnt.

Seriously though OP are you just an ignorant troll or what??.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;16430091 said:
Wow, the iphone looks so dated in that picture.

:confused:

But yeah, the iPhones camera is the worst camera I've ever had the misfortune of using. It's true that every other smartphone I've seen is laggier than the iPhone though...

Last edited:
Soldato
engadget to load in 2 seconds in opera and 3 in safari that's just blatant troll.

It takes 2-3 seconds to fully load on a desktop.

he didnt mention that they have a special iphone version of the site that you get directed too either... infact engadget often dont mention this when they do there comparisons either

Soldato
To be fair to the original poster, an iphone would probably be a better choice if you want something that works straight away with no fiddling...

I guess the HTC is better for someone who doesn't mind having to tweak it a little to get it to work well. I'd go for the HTC myself, mainly because the the iPhone doesn't have a flash. Even my 3 year old N82 has a flash so an iPhone would be a backwards step for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom