mitx boards

Associate
Hey, i'm new to this, so please be nice!
Was wondering if someone could tell me why there are no mitx boards supporting 1366 sockets, or am3 boards supporting chips above 65w?
Is it that its too difficult to make or simply not enough demand etc, or if they could be being developed etc...
I've probably made a few mistakes in there somewhere, but oh well!
Cheers for reading through, i'm looking forward to any answers :)

Soldato
There just isn't enough space to drive the circuitry required to power the CPUs.

Notice - the LGA1156 CPUs have a maximum TDP of 95W, the LGA1366 ones have a maximum of 130W.

Even the top end Phenoms are too power hungry at 125W.

It *may* happen in the future, but it's a risk for a company as if they release it to retail with reliability issues, they're going to end up paying in the long run when people start returning them for RMA in huge quantities.

Even the DFI MI P55-T36 had trouble with power draw damaging the CPU socket and had to BIOS flash it. And that was on overclocking the 95W CPUs.

Soldato
watch out for the shuttle J3.

mitx x58 :)

I decided not to wait (or pay through my bum for a shuttle..) and have stepped form an x58 820 d0 to an i7 860. Mx oc on the df will be around 3ghz i think, but im not fussed really.

Associate
OP
Cheers guys, I did find out about the Shuttle SX58H7, but far too expensive and doesn't look like it has good airflow :?
Was really liking the sg07, seems like a an 860 might be a good option, whats your cooler?

I might look into mATX and get something like the antec p180. Although I can only find the rampage II GENE for an i7 920, but there does seem to be a few for am3 (hoping for a 6 core)
Theres way too many choices..

Thanks again for the replys!

Back
Top Bottom