Worth investing in a new model?

Associate
i currently have my own little pride and joy of a computer. built it up over the years, it consists of:

CPU : AMD ATHLON X2 6400+ CPU @ 3.3GHZ 1MB CACHE ON BOTH CORES (2MB TOTAL)
MEMORY: 4 X 1GB 800MHZ DDR2 RAM @ 840MHZ
GPU: 2 X 9600GT NVIDIA CARDS IN SLI
HDD: 500GB SATA HDD AND 2 X 250GB IDE STORAGE DRIVES.
It also is all flash with lights and crap :)

I must admit it gives amazing performance on games even almost hitting high settings fine with 4x AA on crysis etc. It also plays MW2 with no difficulty on max settings.

My question is should i save my money and use this for the next few years or invest in upgrading to a DDR3/I7/SSD/5970 system?
(from a gameplay standpoint ofcourse)

Thanks guys.

Associate
OP
Thats what i was going for, its best to ask other people's opinions though.

The I7 980X is so tempting ... but alas its expensive. lol

Soldato
Good stuff.

If you are happy with current performance then then for the same upgrade budget you will get better performing kit 6/9/12 months down the line, as is always the way.

Associate
OP
yeah :)

The only thing that bugs me about my rig is whenever im folding or doing cpu heavy tasks, it takes soooo long to complete them, but that can't be helped without spending £800 on an I7 lol.

Soldato
Good stuff.

If you are happy with current performance then then for the same upgrade budget you will get better performing kit 6/9/12 months down the line, as is always the way.

Well, I remember a certain 5870 card going for £280 on release, and 5850's supposedly going for sub £200...

That's probably not going tro happen though any more for a while, although it could happen with Fermi because Nvidia will need to make money somehow. However nobody could really justify Nvidia cards at the moment anyway tbh, so I say save your money for the moment.

I'd say hold out until a 5890 is released until properly thinking about it, the 5870 is just about starting to get pushed properly, but the 5970 is still a bit excessive imo.

You could get an X3 720/X4 955 890GX system though, if your games are running fine, that will run well for a good while, and then if you want more performance down the road the motherboard will still be compatible with the upcoming X6 cpu's, and will have Sata 6.0Gbps and USB 3.0 support.

Associate
OP

i think i'm going to hold out till like 50% of gadgets and devices start using USB 3.0 and games start to become less playable on my system.

Then i can truly justify getting an X58 system :)

Associate
OP
hehe to be honest i'm the same (except i don't have an i7 :()

i've always bought AMD over intel, even when building computers for others.
just the whole I7 thing makes me want an intel cpu, but on the inside i still love AMD haha :)

Soldato
well if you happy with the performance.

but want to spend some money on the pc.

u could look at getting other things, like better peripherals, monitors, etc
stuff that will last a few builds, then when ur system finally starts to slow, u can update it.

i never seem to be happy with mine, even thou its pretty quick, i always find new things to buy for it :p

Back
Top Bottom