Mayo under oil cap

Permabanned
Do about 15 miles a week, car is running fine but getting mayo under the cap, dip stick is saying full oil , was serviced in Sept 09 and done about 600-700 miles since then, last car I had did the same but drove it more miles and was giving out blue/gray smoke was possible HGT on it and tried a few things to see what the problem was engine flush but am I thinking the miles I am doing is more down to condensation, noticed a lot of water coming out of the exhaust when I park up at home. Its a Yaris and last car I had was a Corsa.

Hope its not possible HGT, I know people say can be caused from water getting into the oil but is condensation viable?

Soldato
head gasket. or it's been stood a reaaaally long time and the engine wasn't run until warm.

i think.

could be if you're only doing 15 miles a week but not in one go. that knackers engine quicker than high mileage due to always running them cold.

take it for a long run - 10 miles once a week - to get it warm.

Permabanned
OP
Blasted it down B road today, felt ok, engine was running good and left it running while parked at home and listened for any knocks, ticked over ok its a pain in the arse because I never need to drive more than 5 miles and never been a fan of just driving unless I need to, I know its not helping my engine driving the way I am but the japs build some decent kit so it should be holding up with it being well kept.

What with summer I will be on the bike soon so it will be getting used less.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
don't worry until it starts getting as bad as mine did;

mayo_cap.jpg

just take it for a good drive

Associate
15 miles a week is nothing - chances are the engine rarely gets up to working temperature. I wouldn't worry about it - take it for a good run and it'll probably disappear.

Soldato
You should really give it a good run each week, 15 miles in one go would be fine. I'd take it up to motorway speeds and get the revs up nice and high every so often when it's warmed up too.

You should actually drive it though, don't just let it idle for ages as that doesn't do the engine much good either. It needs to be used basically.

Associate
All the above is true - it sounds like your engine is never getting up to temperature for long enough to evaporate the condensation inside it. Take it for a drive - enjoy it! Your problems will be gone before you know it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Unless you are doing the 15 miles in one go you are slowly ruining your engine and the mayo is simply down to the engine never warming up propely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom