Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Soldato
The new Android looks set for a May 19th launch at the Google I/O conference for N1 and possibly Motorola Droid.

Had a look at the specs. Doesnt really add anything new, as such, but it tweaks the existing software to make things quicker -

One possible bit of code we'll see in Android 2.2 comes from the JIT Compiler for Android’s Dalvik VM. Reports have indicated that by implementing that code into Android, it streamlines the behavior of the operating system and provides up to a 250% increase in performance.

Other system upgrades include Flash Player 10.1 (which we know is on the way soon), freed up RAM for use by customers, and OpenGL ES 2.0 to boost graphics performance.
Quite interested in this performance increase it mentions. The Desire already flies with the 1GHz Snapdragon unit. 250% increase sounds ambitious but even with a more conservative 100% increase, the phone will go like a rocket.

Wonder when it will be available for the Desire.

Man of Honour
Android seems to have a few really bizarre omissions. I mean no apps on the SD card? Why on earth is that the case? Ditto wireless tethering, two features that no matter how cruddy my Nokias have been, I simply take for granted :(

GeX

GeX

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16431186 said:
Android seems to have a few really bizarre omissions. I mean no apps on the SD card? Why on earth is that the case? Ditto wireless tethering, two features that no matter how cruddy my Nokias have been, I simply take for granted :(

It's to do with transfering apps from one phone to another I believe. Meant to prevent you from downloading a paid app to the SD card and then copying it to other devices.

The wifi tether, I this could be down the fact that it violates T-Mobiles terms and conditions in the states. With T mobile being a founding memeber of the OHA they probably have some clout with regards to things like this.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16431186 said:

My hero can tether :confused: Just press two buttons and it is on. Is it something to do with other phones?

Caporegime
If rather they didnt enable n wirelessas it would just drain more power and or wifi at home is only 220KBps max anyway!
Also, do far I havnt run out of space yet with the apps on the phone, and also dont need tethering

Soldato
shame we won't see official apps2sd and built in wifi tethering.

I love Android but tbh Flash player is the only worthwhile update they've released since vanilla Android 1.5. And even that's not very useful. Why do they hold back the potential of the phones? Official Apps2SD would be great, but I guess they just want to sell phones with more internal space, e.g. the Evo.

EDIT: OP, can we have some linkage?

Last edited:
Associate
Re apps2sd: I think it's to encourage developers. If devs are to move away from Apple and code stuff for Android then Google don't want a state where people are buying apps and sharing them. Maybe once the Android market is too much of a cash cow to turn down they'll implement apps2sd. That's my guess anyway.

Soldato
ignorance is strong here!

Erm, yeah... OK. I've had an HTC Magic (1.5 - 1.6, to Cyan's ROM with 2.0 guts) and currently Nexus (2.1 - stock, Cyan, Emother, and the MoDaCo Desire A21 port).

Really thinking about it, the only impressive things I've seen so far are voice recognition for text messages and GM Navigation. There have been some architectural improvements behind the scenes but I don't feel that enough has really changed overall. I still think the platform needs some more killer features.

Last edited:
Associate
Surely it's not that hard to make it so any paid apps that are downloaded get locked to your phone?Maybe get locked the IMEI number or something:confused:

The way Google is looking to do it is locking it to your account, so you can still use them on your new phone, but have to be logged into your account to do so, in a similar way to the way purchased apps from the market are linked to your account. This model is far from perfect, buts its better than linking it to a single phone and not being able to transfer them when you get a new phone IMO

If apps2SD does go ahead I can see a lot of devs switching to the add supported model and distributing the apps free, which is a shame as the dev's loose out on funds and the ad companies make more :(

GeX

GeX

Soldato
There have been some architectural improvements behind the scenes but I don't feel that enough has really changed overall. I still think the platform needs some more killer features.

this is the key; there are many things i keep trying to do whilst working on apps for 1.5 that is *so* much easier in 1.6, 2.01. The updates aren't all about adding new features for users to play around with, it's all about the refinement process of the OS.

Back
Top Bottom