£3k on a car what to get?

Soldato
Driving around a £900 fiesta at the minute its done me proud I must say but feel its probably about time to get something a little more modern.

Have around £3k to spend I guess have looked at the new fiestas they seem quite nice, tempted by a ford focus as well other than that im not really sure what to get :s

Soldato
What's your insurance situation - I see you're 25 in your profile, but do you have a stack of NCB or are you a relatively new driver?

Also what are you looking for? High mileage? Fun? etc.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;16430900 said:
You wont get a new Fiesta for £3k, they have only been around for 18 months.

Can get a newer plate fiesta than mine at least for a decent price but thinking about something a bit bigger hence a focus. They seem to get reviewed well.

Not after anything for fun its merely commuting to/from work and usual potting about I have a motorbike as well so cars are a tool to keep dry but id still like something relatively nice.

3yrs NCB coming upto 4 shortly

Soldato
OP
What model should I be looking at bit confused with the Fords.

I know the Zetecs are the sportier ones better engines arent they?
Ghias are fully loaded? Leather and trip comps etc...

Whats the LX?

Associate
LX is below Zetec.

Zetecs don't have better engines.

Sportier if you think that wikid alloys and shiny bits make it sportier. I think they may also have 'sportier' suspension compared to the other trims.

Associate
Depends how you define good. £1500 will get him a okay Mondeo, in my book. One with a scrape here, a scrape there, no real service history, perhaps a missing key and a lock that doesn't work.

That's assuming we're on about mk3. £1500 will get you a good mk2, certainly.

Associate
engines are the same all across on focuses.
zetec has got bigger alloys and sportier suspension, better seat trim than CL
ghia is the "loaded" on with the horrible wooden centre console.

2k will get you a decent well equipped 2.0 focus if you look around.

Caporegime
Depends how you define good. £1500 will get him a okay Mondeo, in my book. One with a scrape here, a scrape there, no real service history, perhaps a missing key and a lock that doesn't work.

That's assuming we're on about mk3. £1500 will get you a good mk2, certainly.

So what if it's had a few scrapes? It's a work tool. It doesn't need to look special or be in pristine condition.
Also, are you saying all cars under 1500 will have no real service history?what do you define as 'no real'???

Associate
What? I never said it did. The OP didn't say he was looking for a bang for buck work tool.

No, but a larger number of sub £1500 cars will have no service history/docs other than the V5 than cars over that price.

I define no real service history as no maintanence schedule filled in or no documents whatsoever. But the owner/seller says it's had a service or something equally vague.

Associate
£1500 doesn't buy a 7 year old car.

I'd be happier if every car had service history. Doesn't change the fact that an alarming number don't.

Stating that it's just for commuting and general pottering around isn't the same as asking for a work tool for moving him and stuff around.

Back
Top Bottom