• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9800GX2 worries

Associate
Ok as some of you here know i sent off my 9800 GX2 at the beginning of January to be repaired/replaced and finally received it back approxmeatly 4 weeks ago.
I now have a problem with it again earlier today it would not boot into windows properly with the nvidia drivers running but would when running safemode.
It seems their is an issue with one of the GPU cores and device managment is reporting a problem
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
I have tried three different versions of the nvidia driver and get the same responce.
Also as some of you also know i run F@H 24/7 and monitor temps etc very closley and since receiving back the 9800GX2 i have yet to see its temps go above 85c for this card is extremley good.

Does it sound like ive killed the card again or has leadteks repair just not been good enough.

Man of Honour
Tho it shouldn't die in 4 weeks - retail video cards really aren't designed for 24x7 GPGPU tasks. Some of the parts will on average fail after 5000 hours of running continuously at full load.

Associate
OP
Tho it shouldn't die in 4 weeks - retail video cards really aren't designed for 24x7 GPGPU tasks. Some of the parts will on average fail after 5000 hours of running continuously at full load.

as for a life span of 5000 hrs adding it up i have used only a fraction of that at 672 hrs so it should not be failing.

#as for not designed for tasks that run 24/7 @100% i remember using a bit of software called Bryce 3d that allowed me to create a whole 3D world and when it came to rendering it it took 3-4 days at 100% to render.

Associate
I had the same problem with my XFX 9800GX2. 1 of the GPU's stop responding. So I turned off the multi-gpu usage to single and placed the DVI plug at the one that works. That made me login into windows with no problem but only had 1 gpu working correctly for a while, and after 2 months of using it that way I bought a 5870 and took it back to be replaced

Man of Honour
as for a life span of 5000 hrs adding it up i have used only a fraction of that at 672 hrs so it should not be failing.

#as for not designed for tasks that run 24/7 @100% i remember using a bit of software called Bryce 3d that allowed me to create a whole 3D world and when it came to rendering it it took 3-4 days at 100% to render.

No it should not be failing already. In actual fact 5000 hours would be under worst possible conditions with little to no airflow, 24x7 GPGPU at high load levels the mosfets, etc. should still last 8500-10000 hours. Just dropping the temps by 10C can double that. But it is something to bare in mind.

Associate
OP
No it should not be failing already. In actual fact 5000 hours would be under worst possible conditions with little to no airflow, 24x7 GPGPU at high load levels the mosfets, etc. should still last 8500-10000 hours. Just dropping the temps by 10C can double that. But it is something to bare in mind.

As for Air flow i should be fine as i have 2 x Scythe Kaze Juni 1900 Slipstream Fans in the 5 1/4" drive bays directly across from my video cards
1 of them as a rear exhaust attacthed to a Black ice Rad
i also have a Lian Li 140mm fan above the pci slots as an exhaust as well

All my fans are running at 100% including thoose on the video cards so im rulling out lack of air flow.
i can also rule out my PSU as ive got a Tagan TG1100-U95 (TURBOJET) 1100watt psu.
as for reducing temps by 10c i wish i could but the only way i can see that be possible is to add it to my WC loop but thats a cost of at least £100 if i can find a store with a block in stock.
Which is a lot of cash to spend on a card that could be dead and not repairable a second time round.

Back
Top Bottom