Physio today :(

Caporegime
Well, some of you will have seen posts over the last 18 months regarding an injury to my wrist and also my thumb, well i had a physio session today to try and find some more out about it.

Left wrist: one of the ligaments properly gone. wrist is hyper mobile, loads of movement on it. no pain other than when under stress. seriously not good!

Right thumb: very weak compared to left thumb. basic pressure tests showed just how weak this is. very mobile also.

first comment from the physio was 'stop lifting and you will have no problems', this was more due to the fact these only really affect me when lifting (well, wrist when pressing and thumb when pulling).

Needless to say I'll be doing some strengthening exercises on wrist and thumb while waiting for winter to possibly arrange a scan and surgery on the wrist.
Absolute nightmare, as it means no real heavy lifting for a long time, but it does mean that i can go back to basics. build a better base which can be built on top of, bigger and better.

Ah well, there goes my thoughts of competing in strongman comps this year :(

Soldato
Ah that sucks mate :( Good job you went and got it figured out though!
No worries on the lifting, my body has seriously changed since I've gone from 'lifting' to 'endurance'. Don't knock it until you have tried it, here's your chance.

Caporegime
OP
haha, i'll never be an endurance person, but wht i will do is build a stronger level of fitness and better standand core.
i'll still be doing weights, just nothing ott (which at the moment is benching anything over 100kg!)

can still squat (being careful of extension of wrist) and can still deadlift (using straps as thumb is not holding out).

worst bit about thumb was that he thinks i'll probably start getting arthiritis in in within next 10 years or so, as the clicking is loud and gives movement in the joint :(

Associate
first comment from the physio was 'stop lifting and you will have no problems', this was more due to the fact these only really affect me when lifting (well, wrist when pressing and thumb when pulling).

I saddens me that a Physio would say this, always dealing with the symptom never the structural imbalance

Caporegime
OP
Nah, he didn't mean it as in just stop and all will be fine. He was stating the obvious that if I didn't do weights there would be no issue. I knew that myself, I rarely have issues with my wrist that are not related to pressing :(

Soldato
Do you really have to wait until Winter for the scan?

That's such a long wait and things could get worse before then.

At any rate I wish you very speedy recovery mate, I've yet to see you lift but, it'll be a sad day indeed if one of the legends here as to stop.

Hopefully they'll sort you out and you'll be back to your old self soon.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah really, as it will need to fit in with work and personal life :(
also come October new conditions in work means I'll be able to go private :p
I'll be doing strengthening exercises regardless and need to Chavez my grip to a more neutral grip when pressing.

I could use decent wrist wraps (I've got some for really heavy stuff) which will mean can still do some heavy work, but must also continue isolation work as wraps won't do anything to strengthen wrist.

So annoying lol

Man of Honour
Can you not do some recovery/strengthening work for your wrist whilst continuing big lifts nontheless? You can perhaps concentrate on negatives on flat bench for example, or do some non wrist intensive work? There must be a way of mitigating the injury, whilst improving your strength and flexibility?

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough time! :(

Caporegime
OP
Can you not do some recovery/strengthening work for your wrist whilst continuing big lifts nontheless? You can perhaps concentrate on negatives on flat bench for example, or do some non wrist intensive work? There must be a way of mitigating the injury, whilst improving your strength and flexibility?

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough time! :(

Yeah that's what I'll do, as much as I can. Can't do negatives (which would be most beneficial) as train at home, so no one to help with getting bar back up.

I won't be stopping lifting by any stretch hehe

Paz - no, poo off :p
anyway, hardly need hands to lift stones, it's more squeezing with forearms. Hands just make it stable :p

Caporegime
OP
physio suggested doing pressups on a gym ball, by squeezing the ball from the sides (meaning wrist stays straight).
Well, hes a ****er. Ball rolled forward, i drop to floor, face plant.
ouch :(

Associate
physio suggested doing pressups on a gym ball, by squeezing the ball from the sides (meaning wrist stays straight).
Well, hes a ****er. Ball rolled forward, i drop to floor, face plant.
ouch :(

lmao!

Did something similar, stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks whilst on a training course, miles from the nearest gym. Decided to do some handstand push ups (never done them before) got to 4th rep...arms failed, headplanted the floor :( :D

Back
Top Bottom