Unable to Boot computer

Associate
Hi Guys, Don’t quite know where to put this question but here goes, if its in the wrong place please advise me.
A couple of weeks ago my keyboard seemed to have stopped working, so we got by with the onscreen one. I tried different (PS2 and USB) keyboards which also didn’t work.
Subsequently it will not now boot up at all. The computer starts the boot process and just when it starts on the windows startup with the blue progress bar an error message flashes up for about a nano second and it comes up with the black screen where you chose the last known working setup, normal startup etc. I cannot select anything other than normal startup as the arrow keys don’t work, so the computer just keeps going round and round the boot loop.
I can access the BIOS using the delete key at startup and use the keyboard to navigate in it and save/close etc. Then I just get a repeat of the above problem when I exit the BIOS.
I have tried putting in my ‘rescue’ disk and getting the BIOS to look at CD first but the system recognises the CD and requests I use any key to boot from it – but none of the keys work so it just goes round and round the ‘non-boot’ up loop.
I have tried doing the same thing with Floppy disk from Partition Magic but it needs 2 disks and after the first one requests ”instert disk 2” and press any key etc etc (which I can’t). Any ideas?

Associate
Try resetting the BIOS settings. Your ultimate aim here is to get the keyboard to work (which it clearly is as the Delete key responds) so that you can tell the machine not to reboot when it BSODs in order to allow you to see the error.

Associate
OP
I will try but any ideas of what to change in the BIOS to get the keyboard? I have been in and changed a few things then saved and exited but it didn't make any difference. I will have a look anyway but ideas are welcome

Man of Honour
Try and change usb keyboard support in the bios? normally on default my board sets it to os, if I change it to bios I get keyboard support all the way through the boot process.

That should allow you to either boot from a windows cd and use repair/diagnostics or get into safe mode :)

What board do you have?

Associate
OP
Well, almost fixed it - it must be a hardware problem. I decided to change the battery while the case side was off and hey presto everything worked fine. Put it all back together and back in the cramped office - still working fine. Next day fault returned, unable to use the keyboard, unable to boot -- any more ideas?

Back
Top Bottom